Three's Company Season Three!!!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Andrew Radke, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet, but I'm sure most of you know that TVshowsonDVD.com has announced yesterday that season 3 of Three's Company will make it's way to DVD on November 9th!!!

I for one am ecstatic about this! I can't get enough of the first two seasons, which I've watched multiple times. Not to mention the show is syndicated on PRIME (Canadian network) every day at noon. This has always been a favourite show of mine since my youth, and the news of the season 3 release definitely made my day.

I am definitely interested in seeing the second un-aired pilot. I thoroughly enjoyed the first. It's cool to see what changes were made between the pilots and the actual show.

Another thing I'd like to touch base on is the end of the season. In the syndication package, there are 2 episodes of "The Ropers" included, which of course uses the 'Three's Company' start & end credits. The first episode shows the Ropers looking at the new townhouse, then moving in. The second, is where Stanley plans a surprise party for Helen and invites Jack, Janet & Chrissy. I can't help but wonder if these two episodes will be included in this set, or is there a possibility that Anchor Bay may release "The Ropers" somewhere down the line?

Anyway, I'm very excited about this, and can't wait to see what other extras will be included. Season 3 is one of my favourites. Some key episodes in season 3 include:

"Good Old Reliable Janet" - The one where Janet and Mrs. Roper protest at a nude beach.....and wind up naked.

"Eleanor's Return" - The one where Jack has Larry streak naked at Eleanor's return party. Classic episode. HONK!!

"The Love Diary" - The one where Mr. Roper reads Chrissy's diary and comes to the conclusion that she has the hots for him.

November 9th couldn't come quick enough!

2. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

Well, it didn't surprise me. They said before Season 2 was released to expect Season 3 in the Fall and Season 4 in Early 2005.

I've really enjoyed Season 2 as well. Nice extras, these sets are good value.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I have the first two seasons and will probably get the third. I don't think I will get the entire series (though I do like the final episodes where Jack meets the stewardess, falls in love and gets married). I don't really like the Don Knotts years so much and the Chrissy character started to nosedive with the snorting laugh and afghan hound haircut. And I'm not the biggest fan of her replacements. On the other hand, I think the Janet character improves over the years.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Andrew, those are all good episodes. Of the ones you listed, I particularly like Eleanor's Return.

I'm sort of with you up until your last sentence. Chrissy was beyond annoying by the end of her run. She couldn't leave fast enough for me. As I understand it, Somers takes credit for turning her from a realistically dingy (I doubt if that's how you spell that word, but you know my meaning) person into the rubber-faced moron she became. Shouldn't that read "takes the blame?" I've been watching TC on TV Land a little bit recently (when Nick at Nite first picked up the show, I watched the entire run three or four times through and was more forgiving), and the badness of late season four has really stood out. Example: Chrissy tries on her new ski mask, and Jack pulls it down over her eyes. It's on backwards, so her face is covered. She starts screaming, "Get it off! Get it off! Oh, I thought I was going to die!" Please. And, when she left, they sort of transferred some of her traits to Janet. Janet became shrill and dense at times.

But, once Chrissy was gone, I could still enjoy the show. Furley was no Roper and the replacements were no pre-moron Chrissy, but there were some enjoyable episodes.

5. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I will get Season 3 for sure.

Seasons 2 & 3 are my favorites of the series.

I recently watched Season 3 and notice that Chrissy started to become dumbed down in the very last few episodes of Season 3. By Season 4 it's severe overkill. Season 4 with Chrissy reminds me more of an over the top cartoon.

It seems they severly dumbed down her character almost immediately. There was no progression or explanation for the severe dumbing down. It's like it just happened overnight with no logical reasoning for it.

They could have explained that maybe she had a stroke or took a severe life threatening hit to the head which led to her special ed status.

The episode where she takes the blow to the head in the bathtub in Season 4 would have been a good lead in, but her dumbing down already occured before this episode.

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    What was her haircut like? My theory is the two are connected, kind of like Samson. The worse her hairstyle, the lower her IQ.

7. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

Yes, I think early seasons are best. I still think that show is 90% Jack Tripper (Ritter) and that it didn't matter who they cast as the girls. I know Somers was a 70s sex symbol which contributed to some of the initial popularity, but it didn't necessarily make the actual show any better.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    That's the rub right there: it was about Jack, in spite of Somers's mistaken belief that she was the draw. John Ritter managed to be good just about throughout the run, no matter how awful the scripts became.

I still think they should have dropped the whole "pretend to be gay" thing when the Ropers left. In the last Roper episode, have Jack admit he's straight, and that's the end of it.

9. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

....and since they didn't spill that tidbit then. I think they should've had Jack tell Roper he was straight when the Ropers made a final appearance in a season 5 episode entitled "Night of the Ropers". But, they blew that opportunity then as well. Mind you, a year and a half after the Ropers departure, whether he told them then or not would've been pretty irrelevent I guess.

10. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob

But remember in the episode when Jack woke up in bed with Roper, he did that, but Roper didn't accept it.

Anyway, Season 3 is my favorite season - the chemistry really kicks in here, and some of my favorite episodes are here:

Double Date - Jack pretends he has a cold when Mr. Roper overhears him making a date.

Helen's Rendezvous - Everyone thinks that Helen is cheating on Stanley.

My Sister's Keeper - Janet's sister visits.

The Older Woman - Jack tells Janet and Chrissy that he's going out with an old woman. Janet and Chrissy thinks that it is Mrs. Roper's aunt.

Stanley's Hotline - Mr. Roper thinks that Chrissy is pregnant when he overhears a conversation in a pipe adjoining their bathroom.

The Bake-Off - Chrissy accidentally eats Jack's pie right before a pie contest he is supposed to be in.

Triangle Troubles - Jack goes out with a girl, and he is afraid that she will leave him due to his living arrangements. But what he doesn't know is that she has the same problem that he does.

11. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke
    I didn't see anyone post this today, so I figured I might as well. www.tvshowsondvd.com has announced that 'Three's Company' Season Three will be released on November 2nd.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2157

I'm really looking forward to this one! The episodes themselves are well worth the purchase, but we are being treated to a plethora of extras, just like the last set. The two extras I'm most interested in are the John Ritter promotional material, as well as the second unaired pilot.

Also, a small part of me hoped that the 2 "Ropers" episodes which were part of the season 3 syndication package would be included, but if Anchor Bay is actually considering releasing "The Ropers" separately, then that is definitely great news. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one.

With S3 around the corner, and S4 coming (presumably in May), I'm more excited than ever to continue collecting one of my all-time favorite shows.

12. JosephStas

JosephStas Auditioning

I'm thrilled by this great news. The fact that THE ROPERS and THREE'S A CROWD are being considered leads me to believe that ALL seasons of THREE'S COMPANY will eventually be available. After all, the Sommerless seasons still did way better than the spinoffs. I kept thinking the dvds would stop once the Chrissy character left but that doesn't look to be the case.

13. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke
    Today, www.tvshowsondvd.com has revealed the first look of the season three cover art:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2192

It's not bad per se, in fact it looks to contain the same style as the season 2......publicity shot of the cast, this time including the Ropers and Larry Dallas.

Also on a quick note, I can't believe how quickly a year has passed since John Ritter's passing. It definitely doesn't seem like it was that long ago. So, best wishes to John's family and friends, whom are most certainly mourning on this day.

14. Roman-K

Roman-K Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I can't believe it's been a year either. Keeping with this thread, I will be buying season 3 when it comes out and I'll be in for all the seasons. He is a funny man. On a side note this thread reminded me of his movie 'Skin Deep' and the dueling glow-in-the-dark condoms. I think I'll go out and try to find that movie tomorrow, it was so funny. My best wishes to his friends and family as well.