What's new

Three Synapse Titles Coming Soon: Intruder, The Exterminator, Red Scorpion (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Not crazy about any of these, I have to say, except for, maybe, RED SCORPION, since I'm a Lundgren fan.

FANGORIA: Fango got some bloody good news from Don May Jr. of [COLOR= #cc0000]Synapse Films[/COLOR], who gave us the scoop on a trio of titles the company has acquired for disc release next year. One of them is Scott Spiegel’s INTRUDER, the supermarket slasher flick that marked the first official credit for KNB EFX.

INTRUDER (pictured), first released in 1989, was produced by Lawrence Bender prior to his long association with Quentin Tarantino and features brief appearances by Sam and Ted Raimi and Bruce Campbell. “We have uncovered the the original film materials,” May tells Fango, “and are in the process of scanning the uncut version in 2K HD. It’s early, for sure, but we plan on some exciting extras to be produced by Michael Felsher’s Red Shirt Pictures. This one deserves a place on every gore fan’s shelf and to be remastered properly, and is a nice companion to our upcoming release of THOU SHALL NOT KILL…EXCEPT release [also made by the Raimi camp]. We’re planning a Blu-ray and DVD release for 2011.”

Not exactly horror, but certain to appeal to genre fans, are the other two movies just added to Synapse’s slate; one is James Glickenhaus’ 1980 vigilante gorefest THE EXTERMINATOR. “We’re huge fans of this exploitation/actioner here at Synapse,” May says, “and we jumped at the chance to acquire it when we heard it was available. We are searching for the best film material to present the uncut version and scan it in 2K HD. We know where all the material is stored, and it’s going to be an interesting hunt to go through the vault and see what’s there. The film deserves a new HD transfer, and we’re glad to be involved.”

Then there’s ’89’s RED SCORPION, with Dolph Lundgren as a KGB agent rebelling against his superiors and taking up arms alongside African rebels “It’s Joe Zito [director, also of FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER and THE PROWLER],” May notes. “It has Tom Savini effects. It’s awesome. We will also be remastering this film in 2K HD. We understand there are some additional scenes floating around, and we have found what seems to be a longer, but older, master of the film, labeled in the vault as ‘Long Version.’ We’re going to search the vaults high and low for the most complete version and the original negative material. It may take a lot of research to find the additional footage on film, but we’re up to the challenge. Savini may have some behind-the-scenes video, and if so, it’ll be fun to showcase some of that stuff. We’ll have extras, but it’s early yet, so we have to wait and see what we can come up with.”

Both EXTERMINATOR and SCORPION will be issue on DVD and Blu-ray; stay tuned for updates!

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
eh...nothing I want out of these...I would gladly take a region 1 release of I Come In Peace/Dark Angel from Dolph though. Why that hasn't been released here boggles my mind. It has to be one of his more popular films and it was shown constantly on HBO back in the day.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Anchor Bay put that sweet mother of a flick out on VHS back in the day, don't know if they still have the rights to it, or not. I still have that VHS, too. The thing about Synapse is that they're more fans of exploitation and slasher and giallo, where as I'm more about the monster movies. And, most of the monster movies, from the good old days, I personally want to see on DVD, have all been snapped up by major studios who refuse to release them.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I wonder if this version of red scorpion is in widescreen? I own the original release which is is both full frame and has poor picture quality.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Coming from Synapse, I have no doubt that it will be done right. It's sure to look good and be in the correct aspect ratio.

Originally Posted by kingfish

I wonder if this version of red scorpion is in widescreen? I own the original release which is is both full frame and has poor picture quality.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I was coming here to say just that. No one puts anything out in full frame anymore, unless they can't afford the fee to widescreen it, or if that's the aspect ratio it was meant to be viewed in. I have no doubt RED SCORPION will be widescreen. According to Don May's post on AV Maniacs, he's not sure yet if it, or the rest of these flicks, will be in the DVD/Blu-Ray combo format VAMPIRE CIRCUS is arriving in. He wants to see how sales go before he commits to more combo DVDs, I guess.

Grant100

Grip
Real Name
Grant Wallace
If Synapse are doing them their in good hands. Looking forward to the release of 'The Exterminator'.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
EXTERMINATOR_BluJPG.jpg
FRANKENHOOKER_BluJPG.jpg
MANIACCOP_BluJPG.jpg
Don added these to titles to the Synapse site today. Dates coming soon...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Definitely interested in Maniac Cop. Possibly interested in The Exterminator. Thanks for sharing this news.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A news article was posted on Fangoria's website on 27th July about details of future DVD/Blu-ray Synapse titles, including some Hammer titles. Below is the majority of the news article (search for Countess Dracula on Fangoria's website and you'll find the 27th July news article):

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)]FANGORIA[/COLOR]:

While attending the Fantasia festival in Montreal, Fango sat down with Don May Jr. of Synapse Films, who informed us of a few new horrific acquisitions for forthcoming Blu-ray/DVD release—including an addition to the company’s Hammer line.

May confirmed that Synapse has picked up COUNTESS DRACULA (pictured), the 1971 erotic vampire opus directed by Peter Sasdy and starring the late Ingrid Pitt. “We just got the HD master from MGM,” May tells Fango, adding that the COUNTESS release will follow TWINS OF EVIL, coming this November or December, and HANDS OF THE RIPPER, out mid-next year.

In addition, May reveals to us that Synapse has acquired AT MIDNIGHT I’LL TAKE YOUR SOUL and THIS NIGHT I’LL POSSESS YOUR CORPSE, the first two films by José Mojica Marins featuring his Zé do Caixao/Coffin Joe character. Having previously issued the Coffin Joe revival movie EMBODIMENT OF EVIL, the company will bring us new releases of those earlier features with extras ported over from the previous Portuguese DVD boxed set.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish

any updates on red scorpion.

NOTE: Quoted post is post #234 on page 8 of the main Scorpion Releasing discussion thread.

Haven't read anything further yet about Synapse's release of Red Scorpion. No pre-order listing up yet on Amazon.com.

The only title they currently have on the Coming Soon page on their website, is Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except (aka Stryker's War) (1985), a DVD and Blu-ray release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks