What's new

Three Super Audio Winners and One Big Stinker!!! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
First the bad news...John Mayer Heavier Things is the most compressed thing my bleeding ears have ever heard. Avoid this recording at all costs. Jack Puig gets my vote for worse recording engineer ever. :thumbsdown:

Now the good news...Diana Krall Love Scenes SACD is simply fabulous. Here are my favorites: "Peel Me A Grape", "All or Nothing at All", and "They Can't Take That Away From Me". A beautiful DSD recording from analog tape. :emoji_thumbsup:

MoFi's got a cheaper Discovery line and it includes Ryan Adams Heartbreaker. This has got a bit uneven but very good raw "in the studio" sound. All the Adams SACDs have been good and this is terrific musically and a typical top drawer MoFi sonics job.

Here are some standout tracks: "Amy", "Damn, Sam I love a woman that rains", "Shakedown on 9th Street"

:emoji_thumbsup: Highly recommended.

Eden Atwood's Bossa Nova Style SACD "Making Waves" is terrific Brazilian jazz with a solid recording. I just love her voice. Another high recommendation. :emoji_thumbsup:

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. It's got some good songs marred by horrible production and engineering.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It's a shame Mayer would let this happen. It's even more amazing that Bob Ludwig would sign on to master given the horrific sounding master.

Some days the majors can't find good sound with a flashlight and both hands.:angry:

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Lee,

So you are saying the SACD suffers from the same compression that the original redbook release did? That's the answer I've been looking for.

Did you pick up the Wallflower's SACD of "Redletter Days"? That's another one I'm thinking of picking up.

Kyle

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Funny Rachael, funny...speaking of MUSE LDs, I happen to have a few more I'm going to part with. A few NEC Fish Club discs, Cliffhanger, few others...

Rob, I like crappy MPEG-2 HD, so I'm sure the album can't be that bad. I'll listen to it, then come back and tell everyone that it's reference material ! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks