What's new

Three receiver choices-please help!! (1 Viewer)

RonW

Grip
I have finally narrowed the list of choices to upgrade my HT to the following:

1. Rotel 1055
2. HK 7200
3. HK525 as a pre/pro and Rotel 985MKII as an amp

All three options will cost about the same. The speakers are B&W Matrix 803 for the fronts, B&W Matrix HTM center and Boston Acoustic T830 towers in the rear. There is no subwoofer yet but i am planning on buying the Hsu Research vtf-2. Thanks for your thoughts!!

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well I like both option 2 and 3 although I would probably stick with just getting the HK AVR-7200. It provides a nice amount of power and it includes a very good power supply unlike some others... Also, the 7200 offers more features over the 525 as well aside from just the amount of amplification.

Either choice looks good but my vote goes to the AVR-7200.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
If you are considering the H/K AVR-7200, ensure that you have an area sufficient to handle mounting it. It weighs 63 Lbs. and is 20.5" deep. :D

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased an AVR-525 and have been very pleased, particularly with the LOGIC7 processing (HK proprietary format)- Logic7 sounds very full and is a nice addition to the surround bag of tricks. It seems to be a more subtle rear effect than Dolby or DTS. I can tell the receiver has lots of dynamic headroom, as it drives my Maggies to decent levels with little to no compression. Low frequencies are robust with no discernable ringing or mushiness. Highs are detailed but not overly bright, a good match for my panel speakers. I have had no trouble getting the remote to "learn" all my other remotes' codes as well. The surround settings are easily cycled through and the front panel display is very logical. Most of the remote learning curve is fairly intuitive.

This receiver needs lots of air, as it gets very warm/hot during extended use or high volume. The new electronics smell permeates the room when it heats up. I'm glad there's a built in fan- But I haven't heard it at all. The manual is laid out in a confusing manner. All the info is there but you have to search for it. At 44 lbs. this thing is a shelf sagger! I picked it up (new!) for around $600 plus S&H.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
Rotel..I just upgraded to a Rotel 1055 from a HK 520.Using a Rotel 1070 130w amp for front channels on both.Still like the HK,but soundwise the Rotel is much better.I was fighting a "brightness" problem with a lot of CD's.That is gone with the 1055.:D No real big "jump out" differences, but to me the 1055 is just a bit better on most things.
Of course the standard "IMHO":D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks