Three layer disc to support DVD and HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Alon Goldberg, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Tuesday, 12 September 2006

Toshiba and Memory-Tech announced this week it has developed three-layered hybrid DVD/HD-DVD ROM disk that will boost the capacity of a DVD disc and will be playable on both conventional DVD players and on HD DVD players.Toshiba and Memory-Tech announced this week it has developed three-layered hybrid DVD/HD-DVD ROM disk that will boost the capacity of a DVD disc and will be playable on both conventional DVD players and on HD DVD players.

The two companies will propose the new format to the DVD Forum and hope to make it commercially available early in 2007.

The newly announced disc is the latest addition to the DVD TWIN format which was proposed in 2004 and was subsequently adopted as part of the HD DVD specifications.

The DVD TWIN format is a single-sided, two-layered disc that can store DVD content on one layer and HD-DVD content on the other. The biggest drawback of the first generation TWIN disc was its limited
    capacity: support for 15GB of HD DVD content and 4.7GB of DVD content.

The new proposed three-layered disc will offer support for two HD DVD layers and one DVD layer or two DVD layers and one HD DVD layer.

This means that in a two-layer HD DVD configuration, the new disc will have a 30GB HD DVD capacity, plus 4.7GB of standard DVD capacity. Configured to maximize standard DVD content, the disc can support 8.5GB on two layers, plus 15GB of HD DVD content on the third layer.

The developers say that in addition to providing greater storage capacity the new discs should be cost effective because the same disc replication machines used for dual layer DVD's can be used for the new three layer discs.

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I hope what they do is Single layer DVD, and Dual Layer HD-DVD. This would allow the consumer to buy the movie they want to watch, not neccessarily the highest quality, to at least be able to view the movie without worry they will have to buy another disk once they have an HD-DVD player.

If the do Single Layer HD-DVD and Dual Layer DVD I will be to say the least dissapointed, because I have an eye for the future, more than the past and present. In general I hope that consumers will look towards the future to push for the most desireable configuration DL HD-DVD, SL DVD.

3. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Another useful application would be to use the standard-def layer for SD extra features.

Vincent