Three Kings to be rereleased with new documentary

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Richard Kim, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

According to the New York Times, Three Kings will be rereleased to theaters this fall, along with a new documentary about the Iraq war directed by David O. Russell. There will also be a new SE DVD in the works as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/16/movies/16warn.html

I really liked Three Kings, and it's one of the most underrated films in recent years. So this is definitely great news.

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I thought it was decent, but it was overrated, if anything. The critics *loved* it! Personally, I appreciate what Russell was trying to do, but the film was so riddled with tired war-movie cliches that it was really hard to take seriously.

It was like he'd never seen a war movie before, and thought that he'd come up with all this original stuff.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Fantastic news. With many terrific films released in '99, this was my top pick. Hopefully it will play in enough theaters for me to see it.

4. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i loved this movie when it first came out, but over time i have to agree with you; i heard that O'Russell spent formative years in central america or something, so he was familiar with the third world / anti-america view. and to that point, the movie is effective. but from a military point of view, the movie just doesn't hold up technically, to the point where it's kind of distracting. just the just the first shootout outside the gold-site for instance, there's no way the first few shots fired doesn't cause an all-out bloodbath. i mean i've never been in a gunfight of anykind, so that's conjecture. but the point is the scene doesn't SEEM realistic. i keep thinking this is the kind of movie that Ben Stiller would make if he wanted to make a serious war movie [​IMG]

also, the making-of doc on the original DVD is among the best i've seen. amazing trailer too!

5. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Three Kings was one of the first 'good' movies I saw in a theatre that was more for adults. I thought it was a well-done film and showed an a different side of the war. It is kind of funny how 3 years later, a group in the army did the same thing. [​IMG] I for one, can not wait to see it again in theatres.

Ryan

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

And that's a problem, why?

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    At that point, the film crossed the line into self-parody.