Three Kings S.E.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JackKay, Sep 3, 2004.

1. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

An interesting news item about Three Kings upcoming Special Edition in the Hollywood Reporter today:

Sep. 03, 2004

Warners rejects anti-war docu for 'Three Kings' DVD

Filmmaker David O. Russell planned to distribute a new anti-war documentary along with an upcoming Warner Bros. DVD release of his 1999 movie "Three Kings." But studio executives now say his finished documentary isn't what they had in mind, so they're giving it back to him. The move by Warner Bros. is notable in a year when the Walt Disney Co. cited political sensitivity for its refusal to distribute Michael Moore's blockbuster "Fahrenheit 9/11." "Three Kings" starred George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg and Ice Cube as three American soldiers searching for gold in Iraq during the Gulf War of the early 1990s. The heads of Warner Bros. rejected the documentary this week, the New York Times reported Thursday, saying it was inappropriate to distribute a documentary about the director's personal political views in conjunction with his 5-year-old drama. "This came out to be a documentary that condemns, basically, war," Warner Bros. spokeswoman Barbara Brogliatti told the newspaper. "This is supposed to be a special edition of 'Three Kings,' not a polemic about war." Brogliatti said the studio made the decision after seeing the completed documentary, which features interviews with Iraqi refugees and veterans of the current war in Iraq. The studio expected follow-up stories to the real lives of Iraqi extras and advisers who worked on "Three Kings." Brogliatti said the documentary cost about $180,000 and the studio was planning to give it to Russell to distribute independently. "It was definitely a surprise and a disappointment," Russell said. "But they are being very gracious and letting me take it back." (AP)

2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

3. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

what exactly is wrong with the dvd that is already out?

4. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

There is nothing wrong with the current edition. I just watched it again last week. It was really interesting to watch it this time around knowing that we are in Iraq again since this movie was made, and Sadam has been captured. The movie definitely feels different this time around. It's worth a re-look.

Greg

5. Mike Wadkins

i try to watch this every other month i love it and watched it when "war" broke out it has a great picture, sound, and extras

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Very prophetic film, my favorite of that year (and one of the best of the '90s). It's akin to watching "The Deer Hunter" in 1978 and appreciating it as a somewhat historical document and discovering that we're heading back to Vietnam just a few years later.

7. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

The current disc is near flawless in my opinion and it has some decent extras to boot. No reason to double dip.

8. Mike Wadkins

i would only double dip for a cast commentary (good luck!)
    dts and a hd wm 9 ver

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

.......umm......Warner...uh......Three Kings is an anti war film with some very definite political viewpoints....y...you know that...right?

10. Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton Stunt Coordinator

Oh my dear Lawd, why would anyone want to condemn war!? Won't someone think of the children!?

11. Mike Wadkins

its a film about anti racism and putting life over money

12. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Auditioning

I agree with Mike. I would not call Three Kings an "Anti-War" film.

But, back to the DVD: My copy of the original DVD is fine enough for me.

13. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

No, I would not call it just an anti-war film but it certainly points a rather critical eye on War's effect.

I certainly wouldn't call it pro-war film or even on the fence about the subject.

YMMV I guess.

14. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

That is a shame... Hopefully the re-release to theatres (is that still on?) will spark some more interest... I paid for it the first time, and would gladly pay to see an updated version in both the theatre and eventually on DVD. The bonus doc sounds like a great idea, and hopefully it will see the light of day.

Ryan

15. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

I'd argue this movie is incredibly pro war despite its attempt to be anti war. The viewer (at least this one) doesn't get the sense that the gulf war (the first one) was wrong. Rather, we get the sense it didn't go far enough as we witness brutality at the hand of Saddam's army. I'm not sure where Russel felt his movie was anti war. I never got the sense that what was going on was wrong. I felt amused by the whole looting of Saddam's stolen bullion and then laughing (albeit in a rather sick way) at the jokes about Saddam coming to kill his own soldiers.

Russel's intent may have been one thing, but the movie turned out completely differently.

16. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I like this movie/disc a lot; had no idea it was so good as it was a blind buy, and I was highly entertained.

The current disc is pretty darn good, and if you're mostly interested in the movie, should totally suffice (based on my medium-sized screen)...I don't think there are any intentions of "art" here, it's an entertainment that has messages delivered in a rather humorous way.

The messages I got were the relative futility of war, the effects war has on the civilians, the resilience of said civilians, and the confusion re objective of the average soldier during war. Nothing new or earthshaking, just very palatably presented to us in North America who have not had to suffer invaders (recently) nor (mostly) have had to go to war.

I am slightly afraid that revisionism or "see! we were right!" might contaminate any new features on a new disc.

Though this movie is well thought of, IMO it's still underrated.

17. Ben_@

Ben_@ Stunt Coordinator

No matter what your opinion about this movie is (anti/pro/neither), do we really need an SE? doubtful. The documentary in itself sounds interesting enough, perhaps at a low price point, I'd pick it up as a companion disc. Definitely wouldn't buy a new edition just for this doc though.

"I am slightly afraid that revisionism or "see! we were right!" might contaminate any new features on a new disc."
    Very good point Craig. Sometimes a topical rerelease is not the answer.

18. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I have to agree that the current edition is pretty loaded up and certainly will not double dip. From all that I read WB is allowing the director to keep the rights to the documentary to do as he pleases. If its any good and its released on DVD, I may check it out.

When "Three Kings" was first released I thought I was going to see an updated "Kelly's Heros". Soldiers going behind enemy lines to steal gold sounded a bit familiar. I was pleasently surprised with how good it was and how well all the main actors worked together

19. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

As for the need for an SE, the old version was pretty full to begin with. I would rather they revisit some of their other older titles that truly need updating.

20. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

Batman, Heat, Mortal Kombat (yes Mortal Kombat), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (yes, TMNT), Heat...are just a few of the many Warner titles that need updated...in my opinion at least.