What's new

Three Jesse James classics from Fox finally released in March of 2007, See Post #24 (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From DVD Times, 3 Jesse James classics from Fox in September :

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three Jesse James titles for 5th September 2006. Part of their “Cinema Classics Collection” Jesse James (1939), Return of Frank James and The True Story of Jesse James are being given the DVD treatment to coincide with the theatrical release of The Assassination of Jesse James.

Priced at $14.98 SRP each individual details follow…

Jesse James (1939) - The legend of Jesse James stars Tyrone Power as the most infamous bandit in the history of the West. Jesse James was a young Missouri farmer forced outside the law after ruthless agents for the transcontinental railroad kill his ailing mother and steal his family's land. Together with his brother Frank (Henry Fonda), Jesse forms a gang of masked outlaws to strike back at the railroad company and the banks that have joined forces to swindle the oppressed farmers.

Features include:
1.37:1 Full Frame
English Stereo
English & Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles
Movietone News: "Hollywood Spotlight"
Movietone News: "Jesse James at the Roxy"
Theatrical Trailer

The Return of Frank James - Fabled Missouri outlaw Frank James, brother of the legendary Jesse James straps on his six-shooters and rides out for revenge in director Fritz Lang's The Return of Frank James, the thrilling 1940 sequel to the Western classic Jesse James. From the green Missouri hills to the rugged Rockies their steps are dogged by Frank James, riding hard on the vengeance trail in the wild and woolly era when there was no law for folks except at the end of a gun.

Features include:
English Stereo
French & Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles

The True Story of Jesse James - Legendary fifties director Nicholas Ray (Rebel Without A Cause) retells the Jesse James saga, starring Robert Wagner as the legendary bank robber. As Jesse James attempts to evade the law, those who know him best -- his brother Frank (Jeffrey Hunter), wife (Hope Lange) and mother (Agnes Moorehead) -- ponder the question, "What turned this simple farmboy to a life of lawlessness?" And as Jesse continues his ride into notoriety, the key events in his life are scrutinized in a desperate attempt to close in on him for good.

Features include:
English Stereo
French & Spanish Mono
Spanish subtitles
Theatrical Trailer
Movietone News: "Westerner Claims He Is Jesse James!"

Art at the link. Fab news.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been waiting on this announcement ever since I heard about them in a coming attractions ad.

Crawdaddy

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I do hope that the Specs on THE TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES are incorrect.
It is an early Cinemascope film and should be Anamorphic Widescreen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I knew I should have mentioned in my earlier post that Fox's press releases are often wrong about the aspect ratio and audio specifications.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They are sure to be wrong; the Fox press office has done this more than once recently, but the final product has turned out to be in OAR.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Fox is really impressing me with all those classics releases in 2006. I hope they continue with this awesome work. I'll get all 3 without second thoughts.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I wish Fox Press People would GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER !!
True Story of Jesse James is 2:35 scope and 4.0 surround. One never knows when it just says stereo if its one of those idiotic fox fake stereo thingies.
I hope they announce that Hemingway Box soon.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm starting to really dig westerns, are these worth a blind buy? I've liked other in the style of "My draling Clementine" and "MAn Who Shot Liberty Valance", pretty much all the John Ford/ Sam Peckinpaw I've seen, actually.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I just hope the JESSE JAMES dvd looks better than the laserdisc. That was one of the worst transfers I've ever seen on a classic film.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Don't get too excited, folks. As the film The Assassination of Jesse James has been moved to next year, I imagine these film will be rescheduled as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't be too sure of that. I think Fox releases these anyway, despite Warner moving their theatrical release to next year.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just had my pre-order for these three junked by DVD Pacific with the titles now being 'officially cancelled'; looks like Amy's hunch was right..

That's disappointing.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
These are two titles that I want very much. Glad they will be individually available.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

DVD Times has now updated that news page: UPDATE: Along with the theatrical release of The Assassination of Jesse James these titles have also been delayed and will presumably be released in 2007 when the new movie hits cinema screens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks