What's new

Three Hours to Kill - Dana Andrews Western (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Caught this dark 1954 film on the Encore Westerns channel last weekend. Directed by Alfred L. Werker and starring the underrated Dana Andrews and Donna Reed, it's taut and hardnosed with a pretty good mystery. Andrews, wrongly accused of murder, escapes from a lynch mob and returns years later to clear his name. It's a Columbia release so perhaps we will see it in a future batch of their Westerns. Anyone know what the OAR was?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMDB says 1.37:1; I'm assuming that's how it was transmitted?

Quite agree with the 'underrated' tag BTW, and I'd put Robert Taylor in the same category.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Indeed, John. Haven't seen too much Taylor, but from what I've seen--Camille comes to mind--he was a singular talent. Yesterday, TCM aired a very intriguing Norma Shearer-Taylor-Conrad Veidt wartime drama, Escape. Unfortunately, by the time I tuned in it was nearly finished.

Andrews is solid in everything I've seen him in. Even though he was probably a little old for the part, his stellar performance in The Best Years of Our Lives soon thoroughly overshadows this point. Just picked up The Ox-Bow Incident from Netflix and I'm very much looking forward to it. Interestingly, his younger brother is the actor Steve Forrest. Andrews was a good fifteen years older than him.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Wonderful, wonderful film. Check out Laura too if you haven't already, and Night of the Demon - great stuff.

There's a great Richard Brooks film - The Last Hunt - with Taylor that I'm hoping will make it to DVD, and The Law & Jake Wade would be nice.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Great stuff. Thanks for the recommendations. I own and thorougly enjoy Laura.

I will look out for The Last Hunt and Night of the Demon.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
John,glad you mentioned Netflix. I rent from them also,fantastic selection. I am just finishing up the V sci-fi series that was on nbc between 1983 &1985. I still love Jane Badler.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
John,glad you mentioned Netflix. I rent from them also,fantastic selection. I am just finishing up the" V "sci-fi series that was on NBC between 1983 &1985. I still love Jane Badler.

Users who are viewing this thread