What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
In the annals of film history, few occupy a unique place quite like Czech filmmaker Karel Zeman. Clearly following in the footsteps of early film pioneer Georges Melies, Zeman produced a series of feature length films that combined live action and animation techniques that brought fantastic tales to life. Criterion has gathered three of his most famous works – Journey to the Beginning of Time, Invention for Destruction and The Fabulous Baron Munchausen – and released them on Blu-ray for the first time in a special box set.

A Journey to the Beginning of Time (1955)

Released: N/A
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 83 min

Director: Karel Zeman
Genre: Adventure, Animation, Family, Sci-Fi, Fantasy

Cast: Vladimír Bejval, Petr Herrman, Zdenek Hustak, Josef Lukás
Writer(s): William Cayton, J.A. Novotný, Karel Zeman

Plot:...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Checked out the box set from the library a few months ago and liked it especially Invention for Destruction and the documentary on the director. When there is another Criterion sale I will buy it.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
journey02.jpg

"If it were possible for Man to journey back into Time, back millions and millions of years, back at last to Creation itself, he would probably see the Spectacle of Life largely as it is presented in this film."--The Opening Prologue Narrative from JOURNEY TO THE BEGINNING OF TIME (1966) screenplay by Karel Zeman and William Cayton (U.S. Version), Additional Dialogue by Fred Ladd (U.S. Version), directed by Karel Zeman and Fred Ladd (U.S. Version).

In its "original" form this 1955 Czech production was actually serialized and I (vividly) recall seeing it in precisely this form in English translation on television Saturday mornings in the early 1960s.

An edited down, condensed feature film version with additional U.S. footage shot at the American Museum of Natural History in Mid-Manhatten with four stand-ins (James Lucas, Victor Betral, Peter Hermann and Charles Goldsmith) approximating the boys and their attire (but suspiciously seen only from the back or at a distance) in the Czech parent story was later theatrically released in 1966 (albeit the main titles states "1960 Radio and Television Packages" as the production company).

Goodtimes Home Video issued a budget VHS tape in 2001.

I've always wanted this to be made available in a quality blu-ray edition and someone has finally seen to it.

It would have been great if the more extensive serialized version could also have been included in the package.

journey01.jpg

JeffT.

;)

Last edited:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Excellent. I remember Journey to the Beginning of Time. If I remember correctly the movie was syndicated and my local afternoon kiddie cartoon show would show this divided into short (maybe 5 minute) episodes, sort of like a serial. It was grand and brings back fond memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikWRX