1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Three Colors Trilogy coming soon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, May 14, 2002.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I just rented The Others dvd today and watched the "sneak peeks" feature on disc one. The montage of Miramax film titles near the end included Blue, White, and Red. While I haven't heard anything official on when these are coming out, maybe this is a glimmer of hope? [​IMG]
    Fingers crossed...

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I'm having a hard time trying to stop myself from ordering the excellent region 2 releases of these films on DVD. I'm hoping there is an official annoucement soon so I can finally make a decision.

3. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

4. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

5. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

The bits said recently that the three colours trilogy definately will be out by the end of the year. Bring It On!!!

6. Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Ted: the UK release (which is taken from the French one) is fantastic! I bought all three at once, and I am thrilled!!!!

Seb

PS: Jay, just DO IT, MAN!

7. Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos Stunt Coordinator

Another Ted chimes in with a strong thumbs up for the UK version of the trilogy. I love the reversible covers! Is this common with UK releases?

8. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I haven't seen these particular covers (or not the reverse version, anyway), but it's quite common for 'arthouse' releases to have reversible covers: one showing the ‘collection’ look (Artificial Eye’s grey and green, for example), and a sexier version on the other, for attracting rental trade.

9. roy_mark

roy_mark Extra

I also have the 3 UK which are great but what I want now is The Double Life of Veronique which demands a dvd release NOW!

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

If I had a region-free player, I'd buy the R2s, PAL speedup or no. Sadly, I'm convinced that Miramax is going to do a crappy, half-assed job.

Hoping (wishing) to be proven wrong, but still cozying up to that Malata....

11. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Yeah, just look at what happened with Belle de Jour...

Knowing them, it will probably price at $29.95 or something silly like that.

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

OK, I'm a little sketchy on the details here...

There was a big worried thread on HTF (last summer?) about a guy (name?) who used to develop DVDs for Criterion who quit the Miramax "Three Colors" project out of "creative differences" or somesuch. I don't think we knew all the details, but apparently there was a change of heart at Miramax regarding their commitment to producing a quality product for this release. At any rate, it was universally considered "a very bad omen".

Does anyone recall the details?

13. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Agh. You guys are making me depressed... [​IMG]

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I don't mean to, Steve... I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst! As often happens, region-free/NTSC versions of internationally popular films like these do tend to get produced (and I suppose we could always go Malata!).

Remember: we had this very problem with Fox Lorber's horrid transfer for "Yi Yi"... and, after only a little while, a Korean company called Starmax stepped up and produced a fantastic looking, region free/NTSC version! There is always hope...

(And, who knows, Miramax might just shock us with an incredible package...)

15. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I have a feeling that Miramax will give Blue, Blanc and Rouge very nice transfers and decent sound.

It'll be somewhat dissapointing if they're barebones, but as long as we're getting them in their OAR and with quality anamorphic transfers - I have no complaints.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I have to believe that films as important as these will be handled properly.

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

17. Andrew_K

Andrew_K Stunt Coordinator

Miramax is a Di$ney company and they will not spend even one buck on restoration and improvemnt of the old VHS transfer of art-house flicks.

Most of such titles don't deserve for them even DVD release, they release them only on VHS.

The best example is "The Girl on the Bridge" by Patrice Leconte - the best film which I have seen in years.

18. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

19. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Rich, I remember that vaguely too. It was the guy who put together the SE's for Boogie Nights and Magnolia.

Girl On The Bridge is a Paramount title and is available on an excellent 16x9 R2 DVD in the UK. I've got it.

I've held out on buying 3 Colors in R2 to see what Disney puts out, but if it's inferior, or even if it's a great transfer but bare-bones, I'm going to be getting the R2.

20. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

Warning:
    Just make sure you all keep well away from the R4 versions of Red, White and Blue. The transfer quality of these is absolutely woeful!
    None of them are 16x9 enhanced and are: "presented on a cheap and nasty DVD, involving a minimalist effort transferring from a poor quality source." as per Michael D's review.
    The R2 releases are the version of choice at present.
    Angela [​IMG]