Three Cheers For MGM (widescreen)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I just got the MGM Robocop DVD for my birthday today and was elated at what I saw in the insert. In addition to a diagram showing a 4:3 screen within a 16:9 screen, it contained this little blurb:

"Robocop is offered in the wiedescreen format, enabling you to experience the picture exactly as it was originally shown in theaters. Depending on how the film was shot, the widescreen format presents up to 50% more image to the left and right of the screen than the standard "pan & scan" process, thus preserving the director's vision of each scene. Black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are normal for this format."

This explanation or something similar needs to be prominently displayed on every DVD's packaging and in every DVD retailer/renter, no?

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I believe that diagram is on most, if not all, of MGM's releases. And yes, it does need to be a standard requirement on ALL dvd releases.

3. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

I think all of MGM's widescreen DVDs (the ones that contain booklets) have this. The older ones, like Phantasm and Stigmata, picture an actual still from the movie illustrating the difference between standard and widescreen. Most of the new ones just show a picture with boxes and triangles with bars dividing standard and widescreen. Supernova is an example of that.

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip, Hip Hooray!

Enjoyed the option of wide or PS on Mad Max SE. You get an over the shoulder shot with the side of the bad guy's face grabbing the postmasters neck or a picture of the postmaster with hands around his neck [his own or wonder who that could be?].

5. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

6. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the MGM disc framed at 1.85:1 when the movie was actually shot in 1.66:1 like the Criterion disc is framed?Isn't that what the director intended?

7. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    this even occurs on older dual releases like spaceballs, the blurb about possibly 50% more is the same, and there is an excellent example showing princess vespa and dot matrix in the center, and lonestar and barf on the sides, with a box showing how standard cuts off barf and lonestar, good call MGM, now if we can just get a thrity second " why widescreen" video presentation as required viewing on every disc (or at least one studio to support it).

Adam

8. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

9. JamesHromadka

JamesHromadka Stunt Coordinator

One nice thing that I've seen some movies do when both OAR & MAR are on the same side is present an example screen when choosing the format. It is obvious to the viewer that widescreen offers more when doing this.