What's new

Three channel - Best receiver? (1 Viewer)

Raj S

Auditioning
Due to a little one running around the house, I don't have a spot for rear speakers any longer.

I just installed Niles in-wall speakers, left, right, and center for my plasma.

I currently have a Yamaha 795 and have been thinking about upgrading to get HDTV component switching.

Thinking about the Yamaha RX-V1300.

Given that I only have three speakers to work with and want to get the most out of our movie watching, is there a receiver that is better at handling surround simulation on three channels? I remember that my prior receiver, a Pioneer had special modes for three channel, but that was before 5.1 came out.

My only other requirement is A/B speaker switching and it would be great if that capability was on the remote but I haven't found a receiver that does that.

Thanks for the help!

Yogi

Screenwriter
If your Yamaha has pre outs get a used three channel external amp. IMHO this would be a remarkable step up in sound from your current receiver. Any other receiver would only be a minor improvement from your current sound. You should be able to find a used 3 ch 125w/ch amp for about $500 on ebay or audiogon.

Raj S

Auditioning
I'm not sure I follow. Why would a seperate amp help with simulated surround sound using three speakers?

Could you elaborate for me.

Thx.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Just turn off the surround speakers in the receivers setting i.e., set the surround channels to none in your receiver so all the info is routed to the front three channels. Then use the external amp to run those three channels.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
You would do well to check out a Sony receiver. They have a feature called Digital Cinema Sound, which has several "virtual" modes, amoung them several modes designed to be used with only a 3-speaker setup. The receiver will create the acoustical illusion of surround speakers using only the front speakers. It actually works quite well. Give it a try.

Raj S

Auditioning
Based on the last post, I have been checking out the Sony 4ES, seems like a great receiver which should help my listening situation and give me HDTV component switching and some other nice to have features.

Anyone have any thoughts on this receiver vs. the Yamaha RX-V1300.

Thanks for the help.

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I love my 1300. It suits my needs perfectly. The Sony has more watts, more warranty time, more pre-amp outputs, 7.1 capability, and it costs more. You will have to decide which features you want and feel are worth the price paid. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks