Three-channel amp options

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ari, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a three-channel amp to power the front-end of my integrated stereo/HT consisting of JMLab Electra 920.1 mains and the Electra CC30 center speaker. Stereo will have an Anthem Pre2L in between the pre/pro and the amp.

I'm working on a budget of ~$1500 and am considering the Audio Refinement Multi3, Odyssey Stratos HT3 and a used Bryston 5BST. I will have the opportunity to audition the Audio Refinement but won't have the opportunity to try out the Odyssey and the Bryston. I may be totally satisfied with the Audio Refinement but if not, I'd like to know what difference the Odyssey and Bryston would make. Has anyone been able to compare these three amps?? What other amps should I consider in my price range??

2. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

The only one of those I've heard is the Audio Refinement, but I have been very impressed by it every time I have heard it. The shop near me that carries it, had it hooked up to JM Lab Cobalt speakers when I heard it. I'm sure you'll want to hear the others, but I don't think you'd be going wrong if went with the Audio Refinement.

Good Luck,
    Brandon

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

There is a used Bryston 5BST on the hardware for sale board right now at $1100. Just to let you know.

4. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I think your best bet would be the Audio Refinement. For whatever reason have always seen, heard or read of good synergy between any and all of the French companies.

I used to own a Bryston 5B-St and have demoed the Audio Refinement Complete FYI.

Audio Refinement to my ears was more musical.
    Bryston brings out all the details but the music is lacking. I can see why they like it in the professional environment but over the long haul in my house it didn't do it for me. Bryston also carries a lot of bass impact in fact I think it emphasizes that region too much. Of course I truly loved the security of the warranty however.

Other suggestions: What about Proceed, Aragon, or Edge as possibilities?

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

There's also a Audio Refinement Multi5 on the For Sale forum, too.

Aaron