What's new

Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This was one critics #1 pick of the year. I dont remember who.

Im looking foward to seeing it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why, but while I was watching this film, I got that "Weekend at Bernie's a la Tex-Mex" feeling to it. There were a smattering of low-simmering funny bits (that make you go "you have to be kidding me...how ironic") that come out of the situations these characters find themselves in time and time again.

It's a 4-act film, and for half the film, it plays fast and loose, jumping around the timeline for the revelations to fall into place, and then the latter half is much more linear in storytelling.

If you like rural dramas, then this is probably up your alley, but it's not for everyone. Tommy Lee Jones does a pretty good job directing and acting in the film. The rest of the supporting cast is also good, though if you have a hate-on for Barry Pepper, you'll enjoy what happens to his character.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Watched this last night and will be posting a review over the weekend (baby permitting!). I think that the ending could be read either the way Michael suggested or:

The family was Melquiades', but had moved on after he left and didn't want anything more to do with him. The image in the photograph tends to support what Michael suggested, but the fact that Estrada was in possession of it supports this theory. Then again, there is the fact that his name wasn't really Melquiades Estrada!

Patrick's comment about "Weekend At Bernie's a la Tex-Mex" is hysterical! :)

I hadn't realized that this was by the same writer as Amores Perros and 21 Grams. I *loved* Amores Perros (which inspired me to buy the only rap CD in my collection), and liked 21 Grams.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
about the woman

i dont know, i think it was ambigious on purpose.
it may have been someone he was having an affair with and the woman didnt want to admit to knowing him.
when she first looked at the photo she had an uncomfortable look to her.

and that it may not have been his real name sounds like a good idea.

btw just watched it yesterday
not as good as ebert portrays, but still very good.
could have been a few minutes shorter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks