1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

thoughts on Yamaha HTR-5640, 5650, and 5660

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by david*mt, Aug 5, 2003.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

Are there any major differences between these three receivers? Which one is the best value? They all seem pretty similar to me, at least feature wise. Just wondering what everyone thought.

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

They are pretty similar. The major difference is connections around back. There are also small wattage increases. These models are the same units as the RX-V440/540/640 that cane be found at specialty stores. These are the "real" receivers if you will. Yamaha just slapped a different model number on them to sell at Best Buy, etc. But they are the same.

Anyhow, my point is...I was looking at the British version of Sound & Vision Mag today and they gave both the 440 (5640) and the 640 (5660) a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. They said there was a fairly hefty difference in price, but they said the minimal wattage increase was actually substantial and that coupled with the added connections make it a worthwhile purchase.

I myself have the RX-V640 and love it to death. I would say that if you can afford it, then go with the HTR-5660 (or RX-V640). I would also recommend going to a specialty store and getting the RX-V series. A specialty shop is more likely to deal with you than Best Buy. I received my RX-V640 (originally $499) for $440. Nice. [​IMG]

Good Luck,
    Lee