thoughts on Wireless Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_L, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I have a hardwood floor in a 2nd story room. (cant go under the floor with wire) I'd like to place my Sub nearer to my listening/seating/viewing area. There is a floor outlet there, but I'd rather not have the RCA cord running across my floor.
    I am thinking aobut buying a wireless adapter like one of these
    http://www.realelectronics.com/wireless.asp
    to get the signal from my amp to my powered sub.
    Dos anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it a good idea? bad idea? Is there a better way?

2. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

Eric,

Personally, i would advise against using the wireless system as described on that web page. All wireless systems use compression of the signal. If at all possible, figure out a way to get a wire to your sub.

Russ

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Any reason you want the sub closer to where you're sitting?

4. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

5. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Thanks for the info. I am SUCH a noob!

I want it close to the seating area beacuase the room is 24' X 24'. The sofa is in the center. I notice that as long as I am within 6' of the sub I can 'feel' it as well as hear it. Beyond that it is only hear unless I turn it uncomfortably loud.

The sub is a Polk PSW404 10" 200/375 watt. Or I should say WAS. Last night while watching Monsters, Inc. it blowed up! (ZOCK!) The volume wasn't even half way up! I am taking it back to Circut City today (it was less than one week old). (I am driving it with a Kenwood VR 605)

Anyway, I am looking to be able to 'feel' the explosions, bass drum kicks, etc as well as hear them - without turning it up so loud that the bass dominates the audio spectrum.

Any ideas?

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

7. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Eric Circuit City has Velodyne subs, I would take that polk back and see about getting the CHT-15 sub. It should be better performer in that big room.

8. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Maybe think about some bass shakers if you really like to "feel" the bass??

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Wayne makes a solid point, not enough sub to begin with, you might want to re think you choice now that it has apparently blown.

But stil this dosn't address the wire issue he has!? Also the butt kikers are an excellent idea but at the same time he has a another wire problem.

Im sorry I have no experience in wireless technology. There maybe some thing out there that dose work, don't know... Ideas for getting wire or wires to the sofa area on your hardwood floors, umm nothing thats going to be totally hidden...

If the sofa is setting in the middle of the 24x24 room, more than likely you have some monster dips in some frequencies where you are setting.. Is it possible to move the sofa forward or backward at all? This could make a very big differance.

Simply walking around with a RS meter and doing some measuring and phase switching could help you find a stronger bass area with your current sub location.
    And yes, the Velo CHT-15 will be a noticable improvment even if you stay the way you are currently set up.

Can you move the sub, or dose it just have to go where it is, or next to the sofa?

Do you have a test tone disc or at least an SPL meter and Avia or VE?

Geoff

10. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Thanks again for the advice.
    I priced the velodyn15's at CC, and find you all being fairly liberal with my wallet! [​IMG] I had a hard enough time to get my wife to sign off on the $400 Polks. Not too sure about the Velo's.
    Will it really be that noticeable? In what way? I can already hear the base just fine - though I do worry about blowing my Polk up again. (I replaced it already - but they said I could exchange it for larger within 2 weeks if I want) Seeing the thread about someones speakers going 'zock" during LOTR adds no confidence.
    Keep in mind - it isn't volume that is the prob, it is extending the range of 'feeling' the sub. If I can get the effect w/o movin the sub I will still be a happy camper.
    I hate to look ignorant, but you have mentioned 'bass shakers'. I have a terrible mental imadge involving fish here. I just dont know what those are. Same goes for 'butt kikers'. Can anyone enlighten me?
    As far as RS meter, SPL meter and test disk, Avaia and VE. I have none of those. I do have a not-too-bad musician's ear though.
    Regarding moving the sub; I am pretty screwed there. The wall my HT system is on is 12' wide with a door on either side of it.
    I really appreciate the help you all have brought. I only wish I wasn't such a noob so I could return the favor somehow.
    Thanks
    (BTW- I used Decorp flat speaker wire (Dewire) with nice results on my rears. -Ribbon thin and you just plaster over it to hide it completely - Maybe someone finds that useful)

11. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd advise buying a different sub than Polk (no offense but it can't cut it in a room this size as a simple example THX used to recommend two Citation 7.4 subs to meet their specs and these used 15" woofers a piece and this is a suggestion for rooms over 3000 cubic feet {at 24' x 24', unless your ceiling is under 5'2" you just exceeded this}!) due to the fact that it couldn't perform to most people's expectation in a room so large. Another cheap sub (though requires some mods) is the AudioSource SW15 (can usually be found pretty cheap on Ebay or Amazon) though it should still take two to do the job.

I advise also recommending the spl meter and a calibration disc. Though I'd trust your musical ear for such as pitch accuracy the true spl level is more of a felt phenomenon than a listening phenomenon and I have yet met anyone who could truly do it by ear that using the previous two tools always corrected accurately. The disc also will improve the picture quality of your setup as well to boot.

12. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

WOW!!! THANK YOU ALL!!

Today I brought home my Velo 15. Hubba-hubba-hubba! Viva la difference!

I can feel the bass in a whole new way! No need to move it an inch!

Only one thing you forgot about, my theater is on the SECOND floor and that sub weighs about 100 lbs! Each exclamation point in this message represents once curse I uttered on all of you as I carried it up each step!
    (jk)

Really, I am pleased. Thanks. Now go out and buy yourself something nice and pretend I gave it to you as a thank you gift.

I should mention that I exchanged it at Circut City. The people there were very friendly and accomodating. When I got home I noticed it on a website for much less. I phoned the manager and he told me that they don't match anything except brick & mortar outlets.

However, since I respectfully and kindly objected he agreed to meet me half way. I think that is fair since I had no postage etc to pay at Circut City!

I strongly recommend CC to others, but don't take their first offer!

Thanks again!

-Eric

13. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Well thats great, your bass'en now!
    So, you gona give it up?
    You know, met you 1/2-way, how much did they knock off?
    Or is that just asking too much, lol [​IMG]
    Geoff

14. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Heh, Geoff; I didn't want to sound like a CC commercial. CC has them on the rack for $699.00. I found them online from various retailers for $530-$580. CC split the diff with me at $550; so I got $75 back. I can use that to buy a muzzel for my wife when sees the bill!
    (heaven help me if she ever reads this!)