Thoughts on using OLD Anti Virus software with CURRENT virus definitions?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Luke_Y, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Thoughts on using OLD Anti Virus software with CURRENT virus definitions?

I have a copy of Nortons Anti Virus that is several (3-5?)years old. I can still download current virus definitions though. (I think it is ver. 5.1.03)

I would like to keep using this version as the newer versions have gone to a system where you have to pay to renew annually to keep downloading current virus definitions.

The version I have is old enough that I can still download virus definitions free without the annual renewal fee. I just don't know if running the underlying program that is several years old presents any problems.

Also curious if it will run on a windows XP machine, if so I could save some money on my new machine.

Thanks for your thoughts,

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Which version is it Luke? I don't believe they introduced incoming and outgoing mail scanning until version 2001. That's the only time I've ever seen NAV kick into action so I'd be wary of losing that now.

You might want to consider another packge. McAfee version 7 is about half the price of NAV (at least over here), not sure about their DATs though. I think you can just download the files for free but I don't know if the application itself checks for any validity.

There's also the free version of AVG which is supposed to be pretty good: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit