What's new

Thoughts on these LD players (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I had a Pioneer 503 that died on me. The player did basically everything I wanted, which is to say it played the Star Wars trilogy and Indiana Jones just fine. I ran it composite to my TV and had the stereo going to my receiver for DPLII. All I am looking for is composite out (should be every LD player out there) and that is pretty much it. I just want a player that will play those movies and not die on me. Here are some players I found on ebay in my price range ($40 or less before shipping):

SONY CD CDV LD LASER PLAYER MDP 605 W/REMOTE
~~PIONEER LD-838D~~Laserdisc Player~~~~
Pioneer LD-V2200 Laserdisc Player w/remote!
PIONEER CD/CDV/LD PLAYER MODEL CLD V 880
Pioneer CD/CDV/LD PLAYER CLD-V720
Pioneer ld-870 laserdisc player +12 titles NR

I know you get what you pay for but this player is not going to get any use except for watching Star Wars and Indy occasionally. If these players are crappy, is there a general rule of which companies and which lines or players are of decent quality?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Allen, don't buy any of those players. The pic is mediocre on all Sony players, X it! The LD-838D is the first player I got in 1987 (it's actually a 1985 model) . It's ancient, single-side play, no digital output, and has the 47-48 db 1980's pic quality. The LD-870 is similar but a year newer. Any of those models with a "V" in the model # are industrial players. You should proably avoid them. Very few of them, maybe only 1 or 2 model out of 100 or more, have an optical output. Industrial players are durable but may have been run to ruin. Many don't have remote control. I would avoid them. Yeah, use my guide! Best wishes!

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Well I contacted the person who sold me the LD's and he is going to get rid of his LD player. It's the pioneer ld-d502 and mine was the 503 so I think I'll be ok. $40 + shipping is not too bad. I'll try and read through that guide when I have the time. Darn school. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks