What's new

Thoughts on the Yamaha RX-V740 (1 Viewer)

JedW

Agent
I am considering buying the Yamaha RX-V740 from a local dealer for $599. Does anybody have any experience with this reciever? It's rated at 90 watts per ch. Is that a true rating? Are thier any better recievers with on screen display at that price or lower? Also, I am going to use it for a 7.1 set up by wiring the back 2 channels in series. Do you see any problems with that?

Neil G

Auditioning
Hi Jed,

That was one receiver that I was choosing from also. That receiver is loaded with features. It has the most DSPs; a lot of inputs; video up conversion (converts s-vid input to component output!!); on screen display;

I might be going with an Onkyo TXSR601. That too has on screen display, but doesn't have some of the other features like most cinema DSP (features I won't use). When I compared them side by side I notice the walls seemed to push back with the Onkyo sound and the dialogue seemed clearer. With the Yamaha I could notice the effects come from the just the speaker, the Onkyo sound seemed to envelope more.

If you can please check these 2 out side by side and let me know what you think. Maybe the setup at my local store isn't good.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
The Yammy has great sound. very nice reciver. I was looking at some of those before I got my pioneer. the main reason I got the pioneer was price. It was 1100 cdn regular, I got it, display model, no box for 289 cdn tax In. I could not be happier with my purchase.

Lee M T

Second Unit
Hey Jed,

I just recently ended up going with the RX-V640 for my setup. I was looking at all receivers at the price point, Marantz, H/K, Denon, Onkyo, etc. I liked them all really, but it just came down to what I needed. No other unit at $499 had both componenet video ins/out and preamp outputs. Well, except for Kenwood and Pioneer. But the Kenwood's comp video bandwidth is horrendous and I was tired of Pioneer because I had one for so long. I ended up with the Yammie whose power rating is a WHOLE lot less than my old Pio, but just kills it in loudness and clarity.

I have been very pleased with my unit thus far. By the way, it's just like my trusty Eclipse car receiver, in that I didn't have to do much at all to make it sound good. Just connect everything and off you go, riding into the sunset. :D

Also, try to work the salesman. I got $60 off of my RX-V640.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Click here to see C-Net's review of the 740. Here is an excerpt about the power.

The V740's conservative 90-watt-per-channel power rating deserves a closer look. Most competing models' power ratings are based on the use of speakers with the most-benign load: 8 ohms of electrical resistance. Some receiver user manuals even recommend steering clear of 4-ohm speakers. The problem is that in real life, no speaker--not even one rated at 8 ohms--offers steady resistance. It dips and rises. The V740 addresses that reality by producing higher-than-average current output. So the V740 isn't afraid of drops to 6 ohms or even 4 ohms--it can deliver short-term 190-watt peaks into 4-ohm speakers. That's impressive performance for a $599 receiver.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I've got the 730 last years model and I'm quite happy with it only features that are different is the 730 does not do DTS-ES discrete but I can live without it. One thing to say is that if you use the DSP at all, that in the realm of recievers the Yammie fits into no other dsp chip can touch it. I use the DSP for different things and is quite simply amazing.

I used to DJ so I listen to a lot of techno and dance music I like to throw the yammie into either the Hall Mode or Concert mode and it sounds just like being in a club or at a huge rave I love it and so many adjustments on DSP modes its mind boggling. I also like the sound of the DAC's in the Yamaha's I dont use the Built in DAC's on my dvd player for cd or mp3 I let the yammie do all the work and it gives a very nice clean sound. I think you'd be very happy with the Yamaha and will give it 2 :emoji_thumbsup: ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks