What's new

Thoughts on The West Wing? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching s4 on dvd, and am looking forward to the eventual season 5 and 6 releases. I've seen a bit of season 5 so far, and still enjoyed what I saw, so I'll probably see this one through to the end.

I'm a little disappointed in the dropped plot threads from season to season though, but it's the kind of thing that's probably to be expected. Still, it'd be simple enough to at least give a nod to some of the things that they choose to drop, even if it's just a line or two.

Any word on a release for season 5? I know that Warner said that there would be no delays for syndication for future seasons, so I'm assuming that means that s5 will be out in October/November.

So is season 7 going to be the end of the series, or are they going to go as long as they can?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I remember reading this thread back when it began. It's interesting to come back now that I've spent the last few days going through a large chunk of Season 3. Thinking back, I can see the points about characters and plotlines vanishing, and I agree it can be frustrating (I had a similar complaint about Ally McBeal). Still, I found the third season of West Wing to be very interesting. As the season went on, there seemed to be a lot of unconnected things happening in each episode. I didn't mind this, however, as I felt everything balanced quite well. And I have to admit I like the quirks that are Sorkin's trademark. I loved the bit about the Josh fan site (LemonLymon.com) and Charlie's complaint about the tax "rebate." And I felt the conflict that Holdadem was looking for was certainly evident in Season 3. I certainly got the feeling that sometimes the characters did not know what to do, or even if there was a "right" thing to do.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

The show will now go year to year. The exhibited a marked ratings decline in Season 6. NBC picked it up for Season 7, but only after WB agreed to cut the price in half.

As a result, I suspect we will see a substantial in the number of characters (less cast = less money).

Spolier speculation and rumor ahead: Cutting characters will problematic since they have to follow both campaigns and the White House. The plan at the moment it to keep the Bartlett administration around until at least Nov. sweeps if not mid year. The producers are going to have to figure out if they want to keep Jimmy Smits and/or Alan Alda.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Since you asked in the subject title ...

I had heard all the buzz over the years but had never seen an episode. Picked up S1 a year or so ago to check it out.

I enjoyed it, thought it was pretty good. But I was underwhelmed to the point that I didn't care to see any more. So never even gave a serious thought to picking up S2.

Not sure I can explain exactly why, but even though most TV sets I watch can really pull me into their world -- among them have been Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Sopranos, Oz, La Femme Nikita, Alias -- while I was watching The West Wing, I was always aware that I was watching a scripted, acted TV show.

For the most part, I think I found the characters kind of wishy-washy and really just participants in a series of sometimes-overwrought morality plays. The one where Toby got involved in the cause of the homeless Nam vet especially annoyed me, and a lot of other storylines just left me with that manipulative straight-from-the-headlines feel.

I remember a lot of knee-jerk conservatives derisively referring to the show as "The Left Wing," but I didn't get the sense that there was anything sinister at work here. It just so happened that most of the main characters were liberal politicians, so naturally we're going to see most things from their point of view. But I think that was more a function of developing characters than trying to advance a political agenda.

In a nutshell, I did enjoy the time I spent watching it. But I had no clamoring for more when I finished with S1.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I got hooked on this show after S1 came on disc so I have been catching up on DVD only and love the show. It quickly became my favorite drama. I am currently watching S4 and am enjoying it. I will that S 1-4 have all had some excellent episodes and good storylines. Season might be the best overall, but the last few of season 3. Additionally some standout standalone episodes like the death penalty one from season 1. Great drama.

Yeah the show certainly has a lot of Capraesque moments that are not realistic, but that's all part of the fun of it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has there been any word on Season 5 coming to DVD? Following the previous patterns, it should be out in November, but I haven't seen any word of it. If you've seen season 4, you know it has a pretty significant cliffhanger, so getting season 5 sooner rather than later would be great.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Since this thread has been resurrected, let me follow up on my previous post. I did pick up S2 and really did enjoy it more than S1. The arc at the end of the season was very compelling, and the season finale was excellent.

But I'm with Holadem here. It just never has packed a real punch for me. I'm still fairly underwhelmed and, again, don't plan to go further. Especially since I understand that my absolutely favorite character from S2, Ainsley, just disappears.

Someone mentioned a problem with the discs themselves. I have had an instance of pixellation and frame-freezing and skipping in each of the two seasons. I've never had this with any other disc I've ever owned. Are these things just mastered poorly?

Katherine_K

Second Unit
West Wing had a problem with good recurring characters getting hired into the CSI francise as main cast members. The actress who played Ainsley I believe continues for an episode or so in season 3, and than goes on to fight crime in Miami ;)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I hope that they release it. While it's not as good as the first four, since it was the first Sorkin-less year, it's still good.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
For anyone who owns season 2, how do they transition the full frame aspect ratio it was broadcast in to widescreen, in relation to both the actual footage and the opening credits.

Katherine_K

Second Unit

I am not an expert in such things, however it appeared to me that the episodes were shot wide screen and thus the transition was seemless. The first season is fullframe and than the second on are all simply widescreen with no noticeable technical glitches that I saw.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I heard somewhere (and I'm not sure if it's true) that the credits are shown in the full-frame format, but fit for the anamorphic screen (black bars on the left and right regardless of screen size). Is this true or not?

Katherine_K

Second Unit

From season 2...

The previously on scenes from the first season are as you describe, presented in full frame with the two bars on the sides, as are the opening credits. The rest of the episode is in widescreen.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Okay, thanks. Now all I have to do is order the sets... I've been watching the marathons on Bravo! on Mondays (as well as other episodes throughout the day), but since moving in my dorm last week, I've had to deal with a poorer image (switch from satellite to cable... bleh). I'm still watching, but my need for the DVDs just shot up higher in the last few hours.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I had some problems with the double-sided discs Warner used for the first three seasons. Thankfully, they switched to single-sided discs for season 4. I think the double-sided discs are of inferior quality -- I don't have any proof of that, just that most of the problems I've had with DVDs have all been with double-sided discs.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

I was wondering where she disappeared to... They seem to have this habit of dropping threads, but I still can't stop watching the show on DVD. Still haven't seen any of season 5, so I'm waiting for the DVDs to find out how the cliffhanger from season 4 pans out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks