What's new

Thoughts on the Toshiba SD-5970 (1 Viewer)

Steve_Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
I am planning on purchasing my father some new toys for his new condo. We have pretty much decided on the Panasonic PT-50DL54 and were looking for a DVD player to go with it. I am considering the Toshiba Toshiba SD-5970. Anyone have this yet. I know nothing about the player except that it has a HDMI output to go along with the HDMI input of the panny. Any thoughts on this player or the combo I am considering would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Please don't buy this player. Lot of a bad press and reviews going around on it. Does the phrase, "Piece of trash" mean anything to you?

;)

For a nice TV like that, it probably upscales on its own quite nicely. That's the idea I'm getting reading the specs on it.

You'd have to check on that.

Consider looking for the Panasonic S97 IF it holds up to the pedigree of the past Panny players like the RP82, Xp-30, and all those other ones you constantly hear praise about. For this, you probably wouldn't benefit much from an upconverting player, especially one below $500. At that rate, the TV most certainly will do a superior job itself.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=447994

That thread should tell you everything you need to know about this Toshiba unit.

Steve_Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I actually just found out that toshiba recalled the unit. Can you or anyone recommend a player that has an hdmi output connector for under $300. Also, should I be concerned about getting hdmi output. To be honest, my current setup of a Panny 53wx52 looks beautiful with hd and a dennon910 using component. Sorry for the newb type questions but i did do a search for some detailed info and couldn't find much.

thanks

Steve_Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
sorry didn't realize the panny s97 had hdmi, but i cant find it anywhere. any othe suggestions for hdmi players in addition to my question above about hdmi in general would be greatly appreciated

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
S97 is about to come out soon. Just hold tight! The Zenith 418 that's forthcoming also will have HDMI and be under $300. Another player that's catching my eye is the Harman Kardon DVD31 which is about to come out. It doesn't have HDMI and no, you're not missing the end of the world if you don't have it or use it.

Users who are viewing this thread