Thoughts on the original Mirage Omnisat's?

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
They were $80 each shipped from Vanns so I ordered three of them to try them out in my front sound stage. Figured I'd give them a go and see if I like the sound of them. Considering them for my little hometheater niche in my soon to be completed basement. Figured if I liked them, I could pick up another pair for surrounds. I'll post my thoughts when I get them. I figure for $80 a piece I'd give them a shot. Appears to be a very good price from an authorized Mirage dealer. Anyone else tried these or own them? Your thoughts?

Jason

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Jason,

I listened to some of those, or some similar over at Audio Labs downtown, they are also a mirage dealer. The highs sounded great, for me I would want a way larger midrange than what those have.....severely lacking in the mids in my opinion.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I never thought about looking at Audio Labs Blaine. We'll see how I like them (They'll be here Tuesday). I'm also going to try the HTD level 2's and 3's. I don't listen to a lot of music, so I'm not all that concerned with how they sound with music. I like my Athena's I currently have, but am ready for a change. Also, I'll either have to wall mount the speakers or they will sit on a built in entertainment center, so sealed or front ported will definitely be a need. Anything else I should look at for around $150 per speaker or less for the front three?

Jose C

Grip
I bought a pair of the original Omnisats earlier this summer - replaced some Klipsch Synergy surrounds for the Omnisats. The Mirage's have good highs and a very diffuse midrange soundfield - they sort of disappear into the room. Like Blaine M above, I wouldn't say they put out all that much direct midrange, though, which works OK for me as side surrounds. As front speakers in a main system they sound a little small for my tastes, unless it was for a smaller secondary system - I'd be curious to hear your thoughts when you get yours. But hey for less than $100 per it's not a bad investment.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Got the Omnisat's yesterday. Hooked them up and began to listen to them with James Taylor live at the Beacon Theater. My first impression is that the speakers are a little on the bright side. Another thing I initially noticed was that JT's voice was not as distinct. The Vocal's sounded somewhat muffled. I will agree that they create a large soundstage, but compared to my Athena's, they lacked the imaging (no shock since the mirage's are omnipolar.) I'm going to play with them more tonight and compare them with the HTD level 2's and 3's that should be delivering today. All in all, I was not initially impressed by the Omni's. I'll try them with a couple of movies tonight and see how they do.

J

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Give them time to break in. If there's one thing I learned about Mirage, their drivers need a good 50 hours or so.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo