What's new

Thoughts on the new Elite 47A DVD ? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave, there is only one ES DVD player. It's the DVP-S9000ES. Sony is supposed to be coming out with a replacement ES model this year, but it is not out yet.

For your purposes (the need for one do-it-all component), you should definitely give the '47A a test drive.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I'm going to give the 47A a test spin soon, as the ability to do both SACD and DVD-A is appealing, if for no other reason than obtaining a critical mass of titles that I like. However, this unit is not cheap. I'd rather live with a comparably priced SACD player with noticeably better sound quality and either wait on a DVD-A player or get a separate DVD-A player, versus getting a lower quality, not inexpensive all-in-one player. Of course, I don't know what I'll perceive wrt the quality level of the 47A yet, but from what I've read thus far, it may have a somewhat higher retail price than it deserves. How's that for an objective, impartial, pre-audition perspective :) .
Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The short demo that I had in Salt Lake City with a store called Ultimate Electronics. Was acually very good, I am very picky on equipment. The audio section sounded as good as the Sony SACD only player with the exception of the highter end ES SACD. I cosmetically it could have been done better. But I feel the performance is there. This player also has progresive scan as well as the ability to play MP3 files. And the top things are DVD-A and SACD. I have heard a price range of $750 - $1200 depending where you buy it from. I will continue to compair it to the Sony ES until my tax return arrives. You can also read a reveiw that just came out in Home Theater Magazine. Whice also has an article this month on Ultra THX 2. I do not think for the money there is much out there to compete with the 47a.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Check out the April issue of Hi-Fi Choice from Britain. In England the model is the 747A and does not carry the Elite badge but they loved the unit all-around in every performance category, sound and video. These guys test equipment very thoroughly and are usually one of the better comparative test sources out there.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have just read a review in Home Theater Magazine and the 47a got a good review. I will wait until my tax return gets here and take in some DVD's, CD's, DVD-A's and SACD's. And spend some time listening to the Elite 47a and the ES equivelent. I am leaning toward the Elite so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks