Thoughts on the HSU STF-2.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Seth=L, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

This is my first time even hearing an HSU, though I have allways heard good things, let alone owning one. I just got mine on the "super cheap" from a pawn shop in my area for $70 and is in good condition. I think it is going in the bedroom because I have a much larger sub in my main rig. The rig in my room isn't bad either, but the receiver and source are mid-fi stuff, but hey at least I have good speakers right?

The receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5730, source is Magnavox CDB-560, and Infinity IL10 speakers. Is there any reason to have anything better in my room?

What are some comparable, other than price, subwoofers to the HSU STF-2. Personally I thing the sub is pretty cool exempt the tacky HSU logo, but for the killer price I suppose this isn't very important.

I was also thinking about getting some really cosmetically bad NHT 1.5's as well today, did I screw up by not getting those?

2. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I have one, I like it....

As far as comparisons I haven't A/Bed it but it sound much better than 90% subs I have heard. It also has good output for it size. It is one of the few subs, under $1000, that I actualy like. Hope that helps. A/B it with your main sub and let us know what you think.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yes, Seth, you really screwed up by not getting the NHT's. After all you have so many speakers all ready, that you said you use them for seats [​IMG]. IMHO, you need to get rid of a bunch of these speakers and get yourself a new display. Your inventory includes way too many speakers and a puny 27 inch display. Meanwhile, you keep buying speakers and have a silly display. The Panasonic TH-50PX60U is $2,699 at Best Buy this week with 0% financing for 36 months. With a 2:35 widescreen DVD you are getting about ~200 square inches of screen area with your 27, versus over 800 square inches with the Panny 50PX60U.

With all due respect, right now you have a severely unbalanced system that is overloaded with speakers and a lack of a good display. Meanwhile, it seems that you just keep spending your money on speakers and are doing nothing but wasting time getting a decent display. Now you have 3 subwoofers, the MX-100, the Sunfire, and the HSU. Everyone loves a bargain, and the 50PX60U is a real bargain in the area where your system is really in need of upgrade.

4. frogpond

frogpond Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Arthur here. Stop Buying Speakers! Hey for 1400-1600 you can get a projector double the square inches if not more than the plasma!

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Video doesn't concern me as much as audio as you might already can tell. Also note that some of my speakers are completely worthless and I paid either very little to nothing for them or got them free. As it is I can't afford to shell out a couple grand at once, and as for financing, I am a college student with no credit history. And just as well I live in an apartment and my current TV suits me, at least untill I decide to get into HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, whichever wins and I know that will take a while. Point is, I am not longing for a new TV.

So did I mess up not getting the NHT's, I know they retailed for around $600, but my thought was the cosmetic damage they had incured, I mean they look rough. The grills are missing spokes, the corners are chipped as if they had been dropped, the glossy cabs were all kinds of dirty and lots of dust. The drivers seemed intact, the woofers weren't locked up or scrapping and even the tweeters looked OK. So should I go back and get them on just principle or should I just leave it alone? Should I sell my Infinity Interlude 10's in favor of the NHT's? If the speakers work perfectly would they easily outperform my Infinity speakers or even my PSB Century 600i's? Any suggestions would help.

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yes Seth, go back and buy those speakers. That way you won't have room for a proper display. You don't know what would happen if you applied for a BB credit card. Meanwhile you are sitting on your hands with an outdated tiny display, talking about waiting 2 years for the high def DVD war to settle, while the rest of us are getting a thrill out of watching current DVDs on large screen HD TVs. The US Open tennis was a thrill on my 65 inch HD TV. Football is a thrill. I'm getting free STARZ on my cable this weekend. Catching up on some recent flicks in HD is way cool.

If I were you I would just keep buying speakers, and don't sell any of them. Maybe if you had a good size HD display you would understand what all the excitement is about. You talk about high def DVD and are missing out on a world of great viewing while that dust settles 2 years from now. I wonder why they call this the Home Theater Forum?

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I allready applied, twice this year. They aren't going to do it. I also tried HHgregg and same thing, rejected.

I like nice TV's just as much as the next guy, point is I live in a small apartment, I am mostly and audiophile and listen to music. Home Theater comes second for me, I just got rid of my Onkyo TX-DS787 in favor of a 2 channel system. I will get a new tv, once budget allows. And did I mention the speakers were only $60!!

And I don't watch hardly any network television. I have no cable, or satelite, just rabbit ears for local news and such. Just movies.