Thoughts on the Energy e:XL-C2 center channel speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jul 31, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have an Energy e:XL surround-sound speaker set-up, including an e:XL-C center speaker. A few months after buying these speakers, Energy released the e:XL-C2 center speaker. From what I have read, the e:XL-C2 is much better than the e:XL-C. I've been happy with the e:XL-C with music and movies, but in listening the Steely Dan Two Against Nature surround-sound track last night, I felt the vocals coming from the center channel were a bit "hard" and edgy. Everything else sounded great. Now, maybe this is an artifact of the recording, but I am considering the e:XL-C2 as an improvement over the e:XL-C, which would maintain timbre matching with my e:XL 16 mains. If you have directly compared the e:XL-C2 to the e:XL-C, I would appreciate it if you shared your thoughts. Also, I've read the e:XL-C2 is much bigger than the e:XL-C. How much bigger are we talking? Finally, www.soundpros.com has the e:XL-C2 for $265, which appears to be a good price. Does anyone know of a better price online? Note that Audioshop in Canada no longer sells Energy speakers to US customers. Thanks in advance.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

2. BrianO

BrianO Auditioning

I recently upgraded to the e:XL series from the Take 5 package. I have the e:XL 16's as my main speakers as well and decided to go with the e:XLC over the C2 because I think its a better match to the 16's. Check out the reviews on www.audioreview.com. There were a few people there who had auditioned them both and said that the C2 was a good match for the larger Energy speakers, but that the C was a better match for the 16's. Hope that is helpful.

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Hi Brian. Welcome to the forum.
    Any Energy dealers near Rt 128?
    I believ there is one in Marlboro but never seem to make it out there to hear the Energy's.

4. BrianO

BrianO Auditioning

Hey Gil,
    Thanks for the welcome. I am not sure where the closest Energy dealer is.....I bought all of mine on the net. I used to live in NC and was able to audition them there, but haven't seen them up here anywhere.
    Take care.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, yes, welcome to the Forum. Thanks for your input as well. I know that the e:XL-C2 is much bigger than the e:XL-C, so I can see how the latter would be a better match for my e:XL 16s. Still, I'd like to take a look at the e:XL-C2. There is an Energy dealer in my area that may have it. Thanks again.
    ------------------
    My:
    [Edited last by KeithH on August 01, 2001 at 09:04 AM]

6. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, If you take a look at the energy site you'll see that the e:XL-c has the same driver as the e:xl-15's. The e:xl-c2 has the same driver as the e:xl-16's. Both center speakers are using the same tweeter. So if your running them as small you would hardly noticed a difference in sound.
    Keith, the only reason to really upgrade would be if the e:xl 16's were overpowering the e:xl-c and I doubt that because that is what I am using in my set-up and it sounds great. Perfect match and all panning sounds good. I decided to power my center with a separate amp and it really opened it up, you migh want to give it a try.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Haywood, thanks for the info. regarding differences between the e:XL-C and e:XL-C2. I am running the e:XL 16s and e:XL-C as small speakers on my Sony ES receiver. As I said in my original post, I have not any problems with the e:XL-C until I listened to the Steely Dan DVD-Audio disc. The vocals sound a bit hard from the center speaker. Maybe that's the way it was mixed. Other DVD-Audio discs sound fine. I guess I won't worry about it for now.
    ------------------
    My:

8. Haywood

Keith your welcome always glad to help
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

9. John Holmes

John Holmes Extra

Keith,
    It maybe the disc. I get the same sound that you mentioned. My center isn't the same as yours but, I get the same results. I am not convinced that your center speaker is lacking. I believe the disc to be at fault.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I've since upgraded from my e:XL-C and 16's, but I always thought the C sounded underpowered compared to the 16's. The woofer size is smaller on the C's (than the 16's). I thought the C-2 was supposed to address this by making a center channel with woofers that matched the 16's better. Is this not the case?
    It's been a while since I used them (the C went to a friend and the 16's are now my rear surround speakers) but I do remember wishing the C were bigger...
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

11. John GB

John GB Stunt Coordinator

12. Rouslan Sytnik

13. Joey Fish

Joey Fish Auditioning

I am building a Energy e:XL system-e:XL 25, e:XL C2, e:XL 16 and would like to have some suggestion for subwoofer.
    What do you think about Energy e:XL S10 or Klipsch KSW-12?
    Thanks in advance.
    ------------------
    -- Joey

14. Haywood

Carlo, The e:xl-c needs a good power supply behind it to really shine. It's true that the e:xl-c2 has the same woofers as the e:xl 16's but I think it was created to be used with larger models like e:xl-25 and 28.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Haywood on August 02, 2001 at 11:30 AM]