Thoughts on Subway DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnS, Nov 15, 2001.

1. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I haven't seen Subway yet and I'm really looking foward in buying this sight unseen more than just renting it, since I'm a Luc BEsson fan.
    #1 How is the quality..pic/sound
    #2 How is the movie
    #3 How is the score by Eric Serra?
    ------------------

2. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

#1 - Very good transfer. I heard the previous pan & scan disc was atrocious, but this is another top of the line Columbia transfer. Looks like a recent movie, despite being over 15 years old. Good audio as well.
    #2 - Movie was very good, althought I think I need to watch it again because I was dozing off in parts. (Not the movie's fault, I was very tired.)
    #3- The Eric Serra score is pretty dated sounding. Very 80's ish. I like Serra's more recent stuff though. It sounds more like Le Dernier Combat than say, Fifth Element. It's still a good score if you can get beyond some of the 80's sounding instrumentation & production values.

3. Jason Bovberg

Jason Bovberg Stunt Coordinator

1. The picture tends to be a little soft, with some shimmering, but is pretty good for its age.
    2. The movie is pretty lousy. I didn't care about the characters or the plot or its "look." It's a mess.
    3. The music is an odd chaos of styles, from "Axel F" electronica to solo sax.
    Interestingly, though, the opening car chase is VERY similar (in its route, not its effectiveness) to the doozer in "Ronin," which also starred Jean Reno.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Are you talking about the movie with Christopher Lambert?
    Oh, you are. [​IMG]
    I liked this weird little movie. The underground world, the nice tacky soundtrack and the subtle way it tells the story. The music makes this movie kinda fun to watch. I will definitely get this movie on DVD [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Chris PC on November 15, 2001 at 07:34 PM]

5. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist

Paul
    I haven't seen the DVD yet but I have to say I really like this film. It's one of my favourite french movies.
    A bevey of cool actors: Jean Reno (with no dialouge) Jean Hughes Anglade (from Betty Blue), Christopher Lambert (perfectly cast)and the stunning Isabella Adjani....wow. Her screen entrance where she appears from the top of the frame walking slowly down the steps of the metro in full evening wear still stays with me.
    It's a cool hip fun stylish french thriller, the basis of Luc Besson's style. You'll just want to ride the metro in Paris with a walkman after seeing it.
    Well, I did anyway listening to my Eric Sera soundtrack tape!

6. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

Paul - You missed out the coolest cast member. The bassist is played by... Eric Serra!

7. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

... oh, and (unless the R1 edition is cut) Jean Reno does get a little dialogue. From memory he says something like "She carries a big gun" to Christophe Lambert. Not much, maybe, but it's more than he got in "Dernier Combat".
    As for John's original question, I for one love this movie. Has anyone compared the sound and picture quality on the new R1 edition to the France R2 edition?