Thoughts on Sony MOD-RF1 AC-3 Deodulator

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam Graves, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Sam Graves

Sam Graves Stunt Coordinator

I post this only because the Search function is down. Can anyone give an opinion on the Sony MOD-RF1 AC-3 Demodulator? Is it any better/worse than the Yamaha APD-1 or the Kenwood 9991D? It is pretty much impossible to get the (preferred) Pioneer RFD-1. I am not concerned with the available inputs/outputs, just the performance of the demodulator. Thanks!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Sam, I have a Sony MOD-RF1, and I think the sound is great. Now, I haven't compared it to any other demodulators, as the Sony unit is the only one I've ever owned, but I still have no complaints with it. I bought my first LD player last year (Pioneer CLD-D406 brand new) and bought the MOD-RF1 since it was the only demodulator I could get brand new, and it was cheap. My interest in LD is only casual, so I had no interest in researching other demodulators on the used market. I know I don't have the information you are looking for, but if you can get a new MOD-RF1 from Sony for $120 as I did, I say go for it and don't look back.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't think the demodulator makes a bit of difference (pun intended [​IMG]).
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!