Thoughts on Sony KV32HS420?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MikeyWeitz, Feb 19, 2005.

1. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Well, my samsung 3295HF which was to be 3 years old in about a week took a crap 10mn before the cable guys arrived yesterday to install an HD DVR.
    Yep, no extended warranty and it seems it is the powerboard that went (like on so many others) and that would be at least $500 to fix.

Deciding it was not worth it to fix it, I went with the wife to BB and CC last night to look at the Sony.

Obviosuly, comparing TV's side by side in the store is a waste of time.
    Wound up getting the Sony-being delivered tomorrow (over another Samsung, Toshiba and Panasonic) for $799 (yeah, bought the extended warranty this time).

Anyone have it? Thoughts? seems to be the best 32" directview around for the $$$ these days.

I will tweak it quick when I get it with VE, give it a week, then go into the service menu and start adjusting from there.

HDMI via cable be that much better then component using an SA 8300HD box (or DVD for that mater).
    Have a 7.1 audio setup, so no worries there.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The KV-32HS420 is tops. Clearly outperformed:

Panasonic Tau CT-32HL44
    Samsung TX-P3271H
    Samsung TX-P3264

Your 3295HF should have lasted a lot longer than 3 years.

3. MikeyWeitz

You are correct Arthur, it should have. Alas, it did not.

4. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

Mike if you had a standard tv before you went hi def how much improvement was there when watching a dvd. I currently have a standard 32" cheapy sansui and am thinking about going with something better mostly for dvd viewing.

I don't plan on jumping into hd for quite awhile. Just curious. I wish it was possible to get a good comparison in store.

5. MikeyWeitz

I had a 27 non HD before the sammy.
    Viewing a DVD in progressive scan with a capable set is night and day difference. The jumjp from progressive DVD to HD is not as great, but is still a nice jump in quality on good source material.

I did not have HD capability for my 1st 2 years owning the set, just progressive DVD and it was worth it. Much more so with HD.
    You will notice a rather large improvement viewing porgessive DVD's with and HD set, over a regular 480i DVD with a 480i set.

6. MikeyWeitz

Here are my thoughts after having it hooked up for 3 hours.
    VERY nice. Not too terrible out of the box.
    Used VE to do the basic tweaks. Then dove right into the Service Menu and adjusted geometry, red push, focus, overscan etc and I am VERY pleased with the image so far.

Some things work a bit differently then my old Sammy, but the image is definately superior.
    NO questiona bout it, even my secondary cable hookup thru coaxial input looks REALLY good. Nothing compared to my HD box or DVD player, but decent none the less.
    If I can only figure out my Auto Squeeze issue with widescreen DVD, I will be all set.

Very nice TV, just wish I didn't have to buy it :)

7. Drew_M

Drew_M Auditioning

Sorry, I'm new to this, just got my first HD set. What is "VE"?

8. MikeyWeitz

Video Essentials. A Home Theater calibration disk.

9. EricCrane

EricCrane Agent

I just bought the 420. I was disappointed at first when watching a dvd until I realized I had to turn progressive scan on the dvd player even though I used the component output. I amazed at how good dvds look on this bad boy. I still need to grab a callibration disc. Here's a link to my review: well can't put up a web link it's on epinions.com

10. Brian Olson

Brian Olson Extra

While I can't comment specifically on the 32 inch, I do have the KV34HS420 and have been very happy with it.

I just used the THX calibrator (don't have VE or AVIA disc) and was able to dial in a pretty good image for DVD and HDTV viewing.

11. MikeyWeitz

Brian, get yourself VE or Avia, do some searches on the Service menu and start adjusting some things in their. I am sure you wil be EXTREMELY pleased.
    I was able to correct the red push, overscan and some geometry problems within an hour or so (altho I have service menu experince with my old sammy, so that may have helped a bit as well as far as time went).

12. BrettL

BrettL Auditioning

I have a very similar setup to yours. I have the Sony KV-32HS510 (2003 model) with a DVI connection as the 7th input. I think your HS420 has HDMI. Added the SA 8300HD last week through the cable company. So far only a few glitch's and quirks. The cable company supplied a component video cable which looked pretty good on the HD channels, but of course I had to replace that with a HDMI to DVI cable (Radio Shack). I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the component and the HDMI/DVI setup but there was definitely a difference. I wouldn't call it drastic but it was noticeable. I'm using the SA 8300HD optical digital out to my Onkyo 6.1 HT-S777C HTIB, and the composite audio to the TV. The HD is unbelievable, unfortunately I don't have AVIA or VE (not sure if I would know how to use them properly anyway). I've noticed that on Discovery HD (1080i, and Dolby D EX) when they show a dark background there is a grayish vertical bar, about 2 inches thick, that scrolls across the screen from right to left. Other than that everything looks great.