Thoughts on Sony KV-36FS13 36" Wega

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Hancock, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Well my 10 year old Mitsubishi just isn't going to cut it in my home theater anymore. The other day at Best Buy I noticed the Sony 36" Wega for 1200 bucks. The picture on this thing was amazing and I think I would enjoy it alot. I was just wondering what everybody's thoughts were on this tv. Should I get something else for the money or anything else in this price range. I will be using it mainly for dvds. Thanks

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Brett,

I have the 36FS16 which is essentially the same unit but with picture-in-picture. I think this year's model is called the 36FS17. I love it. I used AVIA to calibrate and did minor service mode tweaks and the picture is stunning. The enhanced 16x9 feature is incredible (but only available through the S-Video & component inputs). DVD's look awesome and satellite programming is also very nice although some channels are better than others.

3. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Sweet. Thanks for the tips.

4. Mac

Mac Agent

John

I just purchased the Sony 36" FS13 and was wondering what service mode tweaks you performed to improve your picture. Thanks.

Mac

5. John_Bonner

Mac,
    The first thing I did before making any changes was to write down the current settings. This could take a while since you have to scroll through hundreds of values and write each one down but if you ever want to go back to previous settings it's a must.
    This site Sony Tips is the best out there for Sony service mode tweaks. Two tweaks that I remember doing were 1) setting the AXIS value to 0 and 2) settings the Y-DC setting to 0.
    If you do a search on "Sony service menu" in the TV and Projectors Area you'll see dozens of posts regarding service mode tweaks.

6. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

7. John_Bonner

I'm pretty sure. I have my VCR hooked via composite and when I go to the setup screen, the 16x9 Enhanced feature is grayed-out. I'll check again tonight to make sure.

8. John_Bonner

Adam,

You're right. I just re-checked and yes you can use the 16x9 Enhanced feature through composite input. You can't use it through the coaxial input.

9. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Do you have to go into the service menu everytime to turn on the 16:9 squeeze when watching DVD's or do you just have to set it once?

Thanks

10. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Its in the user menu, not the service menu. So you can access it from the remote.

11. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Is the FS series inferior to the FV series in terms of parts or is the only difference the PIP, 3dyc, speakers, and extra S-video?

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, Phil--the FVs simply have a few more perks and that's all (also, better comb filters).

Brett: There's no denying this is a good TV and will be a vast improvement over that ten-year-old Mitsu. I might also suggest, however, that you keep searching for good prices on other models. The idea, in my view, is to spend that sort of money on something that's a bit more future-compatible--i.e., an ATSC-based set, even if it means going down to a 32-inch model.

My philosophy is that, for a new purchase, it makes better sense to buy into the new digital standard, especially if you're going to spend around $1,200. I believe you'd be able to find a 32-inch ATSC-based Samsung model in that price range.

The 16:9 mode is super on the Sony. But you'd get that on the Samsung as well--and with progressive-scan capability to boot. Seeing a 16:9-encoded DVD in 480p is even more impressive.

Just my advice.

13. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

I'm getting this TV tomorrow.

Should I be excited? what are the best ways to calibrate?

14. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    anyone out there familiar with Sony's worldwide range?

it seems (to me anyway) that because of NTSC, PAL, 50 v 60Hz issues etc that Sony sells very different models in different parts of the world. I have no idea what a KV-36FS13 is; I have a KV-ES29M61, which I believe is (rather, was) top of the line out here in Singapore. there's a new model now which has just come out, KV-DR29M69.

just to run through quickly, mine is a regular 4:3 29" TV but has vertical compression for 16:9 anamorphic DVD output, Sony's "Digital Reality Creation 1250", TruSurround sound etc. incidentally it's also a true multi-system TV, handling both NTSC and PAL, which I believe is something most US TVs don't have.

the new DR series has progressive scan now, and a "Cinema Drive" mode which the brochure seems to suggest deals with 3:2 pulldown.

hence, folks like me out here can't follow US discussions on Sonys, since we have different models, but anyone know what's equivalent to what?

for those who are out here and are familiar with the model numbers I just cited, any thoughts? amazingly, the new KV-DR29M69 model is cheaper than the older KV-ES29M61 that I have by S$300, but the older M61 is built in Japan whilst the new DR is made in Malaysia. any thoughts about quality control at Sony's Malaysia plant?

15. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Jack,

Are those perks worth the extra $100, mainly the cob filters. The PIP and extra S-Video is not al that important.

I am more concerned with the comb filters and would they be worth spending that xtra money?

16. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

The 3d comb filter would be good to have if your planning to hook up a low to middle end laserdisc player or vcr directly to the Wega

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Eric: Though I couldn't care less about PIP, I like the perks on my FV-series WEGA. They're nice, but not essential. Though the better comb filter makes for a more rewarding OTA and/or cable experience. These are nice sets, no question.