Thoughts on Rotel vs. B&K amps.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Peveler, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Mike Peveler

Mike Peveler Stunt Coordinator

I own a B&K reference amp and I am considering trading for a Rotel RMB1095. I have Paradigm reference speakers with a Servo 15 sub, I use a Pioneer VSX49TX as a processor. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these amps.
    Before you ask Parasound is not an option as a buddy already has the 2205 and we like to trade out equipment every once in a while.[​IMG]

2. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

I've heard the Rotel 1095 and it is a beast!! I wish I could afford one [​IMG] . I've heard the B&K Reference Amp-the 7250 I think-and it sounded amazing as well.
    Right now I'm driving a pair of Studio 60's with a Rotel RMB-1066 and it sounds great. I really don't think you can go wrong with either Rotel or B&K for Paradigm Refernce speakers. Just let your ears decide.

3. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I'm using Studio-40 all around, Servo-15 and Studio-CC with a RMB-1095 (silver!!) and a Yammie RX-V3200. I really like the sound. Clean and crisp. Look it my earlier post, I tought something was broken because I was not familiar with distorsion free sound!!! Lots of power. Will probably never use all the potential of this amp.

I appreciate the fact that the Rotel seems to "tame" the clear sound of the Paradigms. A really good match.

I hope your in good shape, because it's a heavy bugger to move around!!

4. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

B&K struck me as too expensive for what it offered versus the rotel.
    A site I use often has a review of the Rotel-1095 if you're interested. Bought one myself after reading it . It does quite nice.
    Makes everything sound... louder and effortless. Couldn't believe how much I was missing before.
    Oh, I guess it would would help to give you the URL of the review...
    http://www.htadvice.com/on_products/...l_rmb1095.html
    hope this helps. I'm biased towards the rotel obviously, but don't just rely on what I say... you should judge for yourself.
    peace out.

5. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

Mike, this is my experience and opinion on B&K vs Rotel. They are both excellent amps with slightly different sonic signatures. I audition a 1095 and a B&K 5000 in my home. The 1095 is smooth and dynamic never harsh (that's a good thing for me). THe B&K is great with music warm, smooth yet with plenty of detail. If you lean toward music stick with the B&K. If you lean toward HT go with the Rotel.

I'm not sure you'll find a great deal of difference to warrant the purchase. But if $$$ are not an issue by all means experiment and let us know your oppinions.

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

7. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    Your undying loyalty to this amp is one of the things that convinced me to get one![​IMG] So far I love it and I have to say it blows away the Marantz amp it is replacing! As one other person said, at first I did'nt think it was loud because I'm not used to distortion free sound!

8. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Which B&K amp are you using? The Rotel RMB-1095 is Rotel's flagship multichannel amp, and I'm using one, interestingly enough, also with a Paradigm Servo-15, but with a TagMcLaren AV32R instead of your Pioneer Elite receiver. The amp is a behemoth, but perhaps your B&K is as large if not larger. It certainly is no lightweight either, and the specs and parts used are really impressive once you think about the price. However, as good as it is, I suspect your B&K should be comparable. The Rotel, IIRC, is quite a bit cheaper though.

9. Mike Peveler

Mike Peveler Stunt Coordinator

Sihan I am using the reference 7270, I have only had the B&K for about 4 months. the reason for the inquiry is I am considering moving back to a 5 channel amp and later down the line getting a higher end two channel for stereo.

10. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Well, if that's the case, then the Rotel RMB-1095 should suffice for even the most demanding of home theaters. In fact, it might even be overkill [​IMG]
    Other alternatives in the same league to consider are the Sherbourn 5/1500A, Parasound HCA-2205AT, ATI 2505 and maybe even the new Outlaw 775

11. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

One thing to note when getting the Rotel RMB-1095 though...give it some space to breath, and cool air around it if possible. I have mine in an enclosed rack with only a bit of space around it(and I do mean just a bit), and when playing stereo music at full level, the amp will often shutdown after a while, with the thermal protection kicking in. In movies though there's no such problem. Even the most dynamic movies - Saving Private Ryan, U-571, The Phantom Menace, The Matrix, even the upcoming Blade 2 doesn't heat up the amp like some good loud music...

12. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I have a similar setup Paradigm Studios all around. 60s in the front. 49tx.

I'm looking into amps myself and possibly trading 49tx for AVM20

Rotel and B&K (the 7ch one) are amps I'm looking at too.

Between Rotel, B&K, Bryston, Anthem, Parasound... which one is better?

13. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

They're not so much better than different. It depends on your taste I guess.

14. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

I have had my B&K 7250 5-ch amp for 2 years and it's preformed flawlessly, driving my hard to please Dynaudio Coutour's, never clipping or shutting down no matter how much I pushed the volume. I've just recently added a two channel amp, the Plinius 8200P. Now the B&K runs the center & rears with the Plinius is powering the 3.3's. The Plinius is defintely a step up in quality amplification, and the B&K seems happier [​IMG] having to drive only 3 of the power hungry speakers instead of 5.

15. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I have heard to both B&K 7250 and the 1095 and for two channel music I most certainly prefer the warm laidback sound of the B&K while in HT they both would be a tie with a slight edge going to the B&K again as it has a very slight edge in the lower end. It has slightly more control of the woofers, however, some might prefer the slightly forward presentation of the 1095. The Rotel is certainly not bright but still more so than the B&K.

MHO.