What's new

Thoughts On PSB Speakers (1 Viewer)

no respect

Agent
Real Name
Randy Colin
I did an advanced search for any recent discussion on these speakers but the most recent was from the early 2000's.

Any thought pros or cons on these speakers? The Image or Alpha series.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I haven't heard PSB speakers in quite a while but they are very good speakers. The Image is a step above the Alpha's. PSB's (Paul and Susan Barton) are from Canada along with Paridigm and from what I remember they both have a similar sound. They would be an excellent choice, if you like the way they sound. I'd love to hear their Synchrony and Imagine series but they're a bit out of my budget.

SaturdayAudio.com has good prices on B-Stock models.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
The PSB Alphas are highly regarded as a bargain audiophile speaker.

I am not sure why but as far as I know, every speaker made in Canada is fantastic. Why? I really can't figure it out... always baffled me.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Originally Posted by winniw

The PSB Alphas are highly regarded as a bargain audiophile speaker.

I am not sure why but as far as I know, every speaker made in Canada is fantastic. Why? I really can't figure it out... always baffled me.

The reason is the Canadian goverment funded and built an anechoic chamber that is used by most Canadian speaker manufactures. I don't think most speaker makers have access to such a chamber. I know Harman Kardon also has a first rate chamber in their Southern California research facility for it's JBL, Infinity and Revel brands.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The reason is the Canadian goverment funded and built an anechoic chamber that is used by most Canadian speaker manufactures.

If I remember the story correctly (and I may not, but I'm too lazy to look it up), it goes a step further than just supplying the chamber. They also funded a study into what sounds good to people and how that translates into speaker parameters. So companies engineer their speakers using those parameters, and then tweak using the chamber. But the key is they start from the pre-defined "Canadian" parameters.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
My very first speakers were a set of Alphas circa 1996 - 4 alphas and a matching center (no subwoofer). The alphas were impressive performers for a smallish room. They were rear ported and had a surprisingly deep frequency response that belied their size. They weren't much to look at, though - square black with non-removable grills at the time.

When my system grew, and I moved into bigger digs, I updated my system to an Image system (T6's up front, a matching Image center, and a pair of the bipole S5 surrounds). I still use one pair of my original alphas as my rear surrounds in a 7.1 system.

My subwoofer is Paradigm (a buddy who used to work for Dolby Labs in SF got me a Reference Servo 15 on his corporate discount. WIN!).

I REALLY like the sound of the PSBs. It's been a long time since I last auditioned speakers, and it will likely be a long time as I have absolutely no plans whatsoever in updating or replacing them. They are, IMO, a very good value (internet direct options aside) and I would recommend anyone give them a listen if they're in the market for speakers.

They get a big thumbs up from me, but when all is said and done, you need to audition any speakers yourself and see/hear what you think.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson

If I remember the story correctly (and I may not, but I'm too lazy to look it up), it goes a step further than just supplying the chamber. They also funded a study into what sounds good to people and how that translates into speaker parameters. So companies engineer their speakers using those parameters, and then tweak using the chamber. But the key is they start from the pre-defined "Canadian" parameters.

I also knew that there was more to the story but my memory also failed me. Not surprising that most Canadian speakers seem to have a similar sound.

I wish I would have had considered PSB's a little more seriously when I bought speakers a few years ago. I'm really happy with my Swans but PSB was a brand I seemed to gloss over at the time. Not sure why. Even back then I knew they were highly praised.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Before I purchased my Bower and Wilkins speakers, I actually almost bought PSB Image series for all my HT system. For the price, PSB system is awesome! I could of gotten a whole 7.1 system for under $3000. I test drove them at my local store. This is the $3000 7.1 package they offered me: Image T5(L&R speakers) $900/pair, Image C5(Center Speaker) $375, 2 pair of PSB Alph LR1(Rear Channel Speakers) $400, PSb SubSeries 5i(Sub) $559, and Intergra Receiver DTR 30.3 $800. The only reason why I didn't buy PSB was because I got greedy and fell in love with Bower & Wilkins look and sound. I could of gotten my whole sound system for under $3000, instead I was only able to get the left, right speakers and a receiver for that price. I am way over my budget now. I hope my decision was the right one.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
PSB's are high on my list as well. I am interested in the Synchrony One's. I too looked for recent discussion on this forum. I would be putting these speakers with the Denon 4311ci receiver ( http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=3d9614d1-8000-4106-ab91-8192242cab83&SubId=40b5820d-83c2-4e93-9909-60aae60e0bdd&ProductId=082714d9-ea72-4069-9b6b-a39c23290d98 ) . However, these speakers are 4ohm speakers and while Denon says the receiver will support low impendence speakers, I am still a little hesitant since I would have to purchase without being able to listen to them. Finding stores that sell these caliber speakers are very difficult to find.

Does anyone have an opinions or experience with this arrangement?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks