Thoughts on Paradigm Studios 40's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John*paulJ, Jul 14, 2002.

1. John*paulJ

John*paulJ Extra

Hello all, I new here and this is my first post, I have been reading for some time tho.
    I was Just wondering about what everyone thinks about the paradigm studio 40's, I purchased 4 B&W DM303's about 3 months ago and sound great but now what I want...Have them hooked through a denon 1802...thanks for any info
    BTW they are for sale in Hardware

2. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

Ahhh, a fellow paradigm lover.
    I bought mine 3 years ago and never looked back. I didn't buy the 40s though and I'll tell ya why.
    But first what I got:
    studio 20s in the rears
    studio 60s up front
    the reference center channel
    and the pw-2200 pulling base duty.
    The reason I didn't go with the 40s was the simple fact that if you add the price of a good pair of stands to the cost of the 40 you can get the studio 60s instead which offers more enclosure which equates to deeper bass. The 60 takes up just as much floor room and the 40s on stands and the 60s are a little deeper. I just think the 60s are a better buy.
    For reviews of the studio 60s I chhecked out paradigm review link and pdfs, I was a little pissed to see that many of the reveiws they list for their studio line are reviews of their old reference model line. The new reference line you see now from paradigm came out 3 years ago when I bought em.
    Anyway the newest review I've found of my caveted speakers is at one of my favorite reference web sites www.htadvice.com. Don't know the full URL, but I think it under the "products" area. It wasn't hard to find the review at the site so you should be able to find it OK.
    Hope this helps.
    P.S. if your looking to spend less the studio 20s are simply spectacular as well. I had those for about a week before my studio 60s came in and I felt really bad about putting the 20s on surround duty. Those with the the stand cost are defintely cheaper than the studio 60s. Oh, that reminds me, pay the little extra for the wood on the sides... it look friggin sweet!!!
    Best of luck on your speaker hunting!

3. John*paulJ

John*paulJ Extra

Wow! Thanks for the info!

4. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

John, I just sold my B&W 303's ... upgraded to Studio 40's with a Studio CC. Here's the scoop.

AMAZING! Like night and day if there was a better expression I would use it. It's like going from a pinto to a ferrari (as some may use for comparison). I couldn't / can't believe my ears!!! I just finished listening to the pod race scene from TPM and well I felt like I was in the middle of the race with the pods whirring around me, never felt like that before. Before it just sounding like they were whiring around the screen!

I couldn't stop smiling!

5. James Hibbert

John,

I went for the 100's but the 40's and a good sub was a close second.I don't think you could go wrong with any of the reference line for the $$$.

6. John_W_Jr

John_W_Jr Stunt Coordinator

John:
    I, too, went with the 40's and I love the clarity of sound that these speakers reproduce. I decided on the 40's with the Premier J-50 stands because the height of the combo was a little taller than the 60's, so the tweeter level (for me) is at ear level...I really like all of the speakers in Paradigm's Reference line. I don't think that you'll not like any of them! [​IMG]

7. Mike-grouse

Sorry john,

I live in the North West suburbs of Chicago IL.

I'd have to agree with everyone here on the post about the reference line... you really can't go wrong with any of the speakers in the lineup.

40s with stand height equaling a greater tweeter height: I forgot to account for that issue so you should definitely think of that as a reason for the 40s.

Truth be told though... the paradigm's have great dispersion up and down the scale. When a stand behind my seating position (6'5) I still get beutifully accurate sound image. Granted I don't stand and listen but it does say something for the speaker.

Peace out.

8. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

Click on my sig link for my thoughts on the 40's. I've compared them to many different speakers, including the Nautilus 805's.

I also listened to them against the 60's & 100's, and to ME, the 40's with a good sub sounded the best. I went with the Servo 15.

Phil

9. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Where did you buy your B&Ws? Most B&W dealers have excellent trade up policies. I can get 100% trade in value for the first year. Might be worth considering if you want to step up to B&W600 series or CDM NTs. Both of these lines would be a big step up from the 303s.

10. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Uh oh your comparing Paradigm and B&W here. That can get you shot around here.[​IMG] the last time I did that I didn't come back for a month. People took it very personal like i said something to them about there religion or sexual preference. Here's the link http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ht=astonishing

11. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

I would choose paradigm and PSB over B&Ws line anyday except for the nautilus series

12. Mike-grouse

Let's be fair.

I own all paradigm, but gor a couple hundred extra you can get some B&Ws that incorporate the nautilus tweeter into them.

THese sound just as good as the paradigm reference line, but they do sound different. So you would have to just for yourself whether you like the silky sound of the b&w or the more natural, albeit possibly edgy sound of the paradigm refs.

I would all hinge on taste and the type of amp you play. i know my amp doesn't need any help sounding better, but others may need a lift.

Unless there's quality issues with B&W (and I don't think there are) then you openly need to consider either brand.

13. John*paulJ

John*paulJ Extra

Which B&W are you talking about with the nautilus tweeter?
    The paradigm's I'm trying to get a internally rewired
    with DH labs wire...how much difference would that make?

14. Mike-grouse

CDM NT series speakers from B&W carry the nautilus tweeter.
    if the B&W web site was working I'd have given a direct link, but instead I found a home theater magazine article online that reviews then
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/shownews.cgi?2
    The b&W site is www.bwspeakers.com
    hopefully the site is repaired soon for you to look.
    Price diffeence I found between this line and the paradigm refs:
    $200 across the model line with the model line match paradigms speaker for speaker. Funny how that happened. By the by: the paradigm refs came out first.
    Hope this helps

15. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

What is funny to me is that if you do a search you will see that there are alot of Paradigms owners on this best site. Most of us are complety satified but yet it's a bad to compare to the higher end more expesive models. Just don't understand when I compare my Monitor 9's to the CDM NT's and find favor in the Monitors I get people correcting me and telling me my oppion is invalid????

16. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I'd like to add the only reference speakers I'd think first before buying would be the 80's, but then again if you're giving them to me...
    They have different size drivers then the Studio CC.

17. Mike-grouse

I'd like to address the last 2 posts.

Invalid opinion?
    The only user whoose opinions are invalid are those that think their opinion is the only right one. What sound right and good to them and their tastes with thier systems may not hold true for yours.

Reference 80s.
    i would definitely not give these a look and since the original question involved the ref 40s and i recommend the 20s and 60s as well i thought there was no need to address the 80s.

Reveiw of the 80s
    The 80s offer a muddier sound than all the other reference line including the 100s. They produced this sound with the ref line before the redesign 3 years ago as well. The reason for this is exactly where you said your problem was... the mid/woof is too big. That size of a cone makes for a good woofer but a bad midrange. Most speakers that offer that size woofer offer a smaller midrange as well so the sound attibutes are apparent. One thing it does do is produce more bass, but many would argue at to high of a sacrifice.

Nuff said, hope it helps.