What's new

Thoughts on Nolan Collection 4K UHD films? (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
The Dark Knight does not play on my Samsung K8500)

Uh oh. I have the same issue. Amazon sent a replacement to my father's house that I'll pick up tomorrow. Hope I don't have to wait for a firmware upgrade.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Watched the Dark Knight Trilogy and Dunkirk.

Batman Begns is a disappointment. Much of it looks great, but there's some noise reduction applied rather inconsistently throughout. One shot looks quite good, the next shot is smeary and detail-less. Look at the shots of Alfred at the beginning of Chapter 5, which are mess. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises fair better. The IMAX stuff is stellar, but the 35mm feels true to the way it was shot but doesn't impress. Dunkirk is exceptional throughout.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched the Dark Knight Trilogy and Dunkirk.

Batman Begns is a disappointment. Much of it looks great, but there's some noise reduction applied rather inconsistently throughout. One shot looks quite good, the next shot is smeary and detail-less. Look at the shots of Alfred at the beginning of Chapter 5, which are mess. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises fair better. The IMAX stuff is stellar, but the 35mm feels true to the way it was shot but doesn't impress. Dunkirk is exceptional throughout.
I think it has more to do with how each movie was filmed.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think it has more to do with how each movie was filmed.
Are you referring to the Batman Begins comments? There's definitely something funky going on. Either DNR was applied to select shots or something happened in the encoding process. The same shots are unaffected on the regular Blu-ray disc. The Alfred shots I mentioned (at 16:16) are probably the worst of it since it's well lit and the difference in quality between them and the shots of young Bruce they're intercut with is night and day. But other shots are also DNR'd throughout the film but sometimes felt less bothersome due to the soft and dark look of the movie. Just a rough guesstimate, but I'd say about 70% of the movie looks great and film-like and 30% of it has had its grain and fine detail scrubbed for reasons I can't fathom on a new 4K remaster.

Believe me, this is probably my favorite film of the bunch and I wish this was not the case. When I first saw other people comment about alleged DNR on this title, I assumed they were either clueless or just trying to get a rise out of fans. Watching the disc myself, I tried to justify it at first ("maybe they used DNR on Alfred to make Michael Caine look younger in those shots?"), but then I noticed more and more shots that suffered from noise reduction. And comparing it to the Blu-ray, yeah, there's definitely some DNR here and it's occasionally distracting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are you referring to the Batman Begins comments? There's definitely something funky going on. Either DNR was applied to select shots or something happened in the encoding process. The same shots are unaffected on the regular Blu-ray disc. The Alfred shots I mentioned (at 16:16) are probably the worst of it since it's well lit and the difference in quality between them and the shots of young Bruce they're intercut with is night and day. But other shots are also DNR'd throughout the film but sometimes felt less bothersome due to the soft and dark look of the movie. Just a rough guesstimate, but I'd say about 70% of the movie looks great and film-like and 30% of it has had its grain and detail scrubbed off for reasons I can't fathom with this being a new 4K remaster.

Believe me, this is probably my favorite film of the bunch and I wish this was not the case. When I first saw other people comment about alleged DNR on this title, I assumed they were either clueless or just trying to get a rise out of fans. Watching the disc myself, I tried to justify it at first ("maybe they used DNR on Alfred to make Michael Caine look younger in those shots?"), but then I noticed more and more shots that suffered from noise reduction. And comparing it to the Blu-ray, yeah, there's definitely some DNR here and it's occasionally distracting.
Well, I'll see for myself as I own all of these titles on 4K/UHD disc. However, I'm not as sensitive to DNR applied like some others around here.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Bummed at no codes in the 7 disk set so I cancelled that order and got the individual disks plus the batman 3 pack. I also wish Nolan used Atmos for Dunkirk.

Other than that I am satisfied so far.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hi Tino- do you know which software version you are running?
I picked up my new set today. Haven't been home yet, but did try it in my dad's 8500. All discs worked. Tried my bad Dark Knight and it did not work in his player either. So they probably had authoring issues. I'll know for sure tonight when I get home from work.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've played both Batman Begins and Dark Knight standalones in the last two weeks. There were very small stutters (1 each, maybe a half second each) but no other issues.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how much of this stutters were due to playback devices vs the disc? I noticed an occasional/rare stutter but when I rewound and played the stutter did not happen. I’m running an Oppo 203 with latest firmware.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Agreed. I wasn't terribly worried about it and didn't bother to go backward. I've got a Sony something or other...the model escapes me right now. And I think the firmware is up to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks