What's new

Thoughts on my new JVC XV-SA70 (1 Viewer)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I also bought my region-free player from JVB, but from their retail store in The Netherlands.
It was recommended to me by friends, and it was only a 30 minute drive from my place.
I've had no problems with my Pioneer player, so I can't really comment on their level of service.....

Peter Yee

Premium
And my JVC SA-XV600 just arrived from JVB on Friday. I'll get it plugged in tonight and should know more about how well it works by tomorrow. Lots of Studio Ghibli to watch!

-Peter

Peter Yee

Premium
Player is working like a dream. I replaced my Panasonic R31 in about 5 minutes with the JVC. Tried out R2 NTSC, R0 PAL, and R1 NTSC. Everything works. Woohoo. No more playing my foreign discs on my PC!

-Peter

The JVC player has the same Panterra chip that I have in my two Malata N-996 players. Unfortunately, the x-y scaling feature was not implemented by JVC. For me, this is the most used feature in watching my 80+ PAL DVDs. I can get rid of the typical overscan, and size up the picture to my exact taste. I can always have the video filling my screen horizontally,without overlap, and then make whatever adjustments I like vertically.

I also make use of the pan feature. For example, the Italian release of Evita (DTS) has forced Italian subtitles, and I can pan the picture up, completely above the subtitles which stay at the bottom of the screen.

Actually, in my home theater, on my Pioneer Elite 710HD, I usually use my Malata rather than My Panasonic RP-91 for watching R1 dvds. I like the direct entry remote and the ability to see time remaining.

Keith Smith

Peter Yee

Premium
I have found one down side to the JVC (besides the panning that Keith mentions). This probably won't affect videophiles, but the JVC doesn't take to VCDs very well. It fails to run or runs badly quite a few of the VCDs that my wife brought back from China. So, I've put the old Panasonic on top of the JVC and I have to DVD players in my stack. One plays DVDs (all regions), the other VCDs.
I guess I won't get to sell the Panasonic after all. :frowning:
-Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks