Thoughts on my new JVC XV-SA70

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_HR, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I purchased this region free player from JVB Digital on Friday. A very pleasant firm to do business with. I received a small discount off their listed price because I picked it up in person. After resding thru the instructions quickly, the player was not difficult to setup to my liking. The remote is pretty easy to use. This player produces a VERY nice picture with R1 DVDs in the progressive scan mode. I watched a R2 Uk PAL DVD today(The Bangkok Hilton), the player's convertor worked flawlessly. I have not had a chance to test it with a widescreen non-R1 DVD yet. I have a couple on the way from Blackstar.co.uk(The Bodyguard & All That Jazz). I report my impressions of how it handles widescreen non-R1 DVds once I've watched the 2 I have coming. My television is a Hitachi 32UDX10S.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :wink:

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I've had a chance now to play several R2 & R4 widescreen PAL DVDs. They have played PERFECTLY! I could not be happier with the performance of this player. The only small nitpick that I have is the inability of the player to display "time remaining" like my old Sony changer could. My own personal bias is to see time displayed that way instead of counting upward from 00:00:00.

3. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Rats. This model is no longer offered (at least it doesn't show up on the JVB Digital website). Anywhere else to get it?
    Or as an alternative, how about the JVC XV-SA600 -- looks like it does DVD-Audio as well? Or the XV-S500/XV-S502?
    Now that I've started collecting R2 discs, I need to get a player that will allow me to watch them on my HT. My PC does a credible job (Klipsch 5.1 setup for speakers), but the screen is so small. [​IMG]
    -Peter

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'm not aware of it being available any longer. The XV-SA600 is the replacement for the XV-SA70. As far as I can tell the newer version will do everything that the XV-SA70 would do. I truly believe that you will be very happy if you purchase this model. Good luck & happy buying.

5. Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

I have the multi-region JVC XVS500 and you're right about the conversion/picture quality. Outstanding! I watched Vanishing Point and the Italian Job the last 2 nights and they were stunning. I'm curious though: I can switch to time remaining on my player by cycling through the time display (I'm not sure it's the same on the 70, but I would think it would be close). I thought the 70 just added DVD-A capability.

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Ted, my player is unable to cycle thru the time display. As I mentioned above, it is a minor point of displeasure. Glad to see your happy with your JVC. I pick mine over the Malatas because of the existence of some threads at DVDTalk about problems with that brand. I not seen any threads anywhere about problems with JVCs. I originally wanted the JVC 7 disc changer, but it was discontinued just days before I was ready to buy. So I compromised & got the XV-SA70.[​IMG]

7. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Second Unit

8. Peter Yee

Supporter

The JVB Digital website says that only region 2 XV-S500 players have the ability to set the player in automatic mode. Does this mean that region 1 modified players have to have the region set manually by the user?

This note is not made for the XV-SA600, strangely enough.

-Peter

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Likewise with my JVC XV-SA70.

10. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

11. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Second Unit

12. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

13. MilesH

MilesH Stunt Coordinator

Does this player have the xy scaling and allow mp3 out on the digital out like the Malata?

14. Peter Yee

Supporter

I would think it does -- follow the link that Jeff gives and you'll see. I just ordered an XV-S600 from JVB Digital. Should have it on Friday. I wanted a player that handled DVD-Audio. Future proofing, as it were, since my receiver doesn't decode DVD-Audio or support 5.1 analog inputs. Sigh. At least I'm going to be enjoying my Japanese R2 anime imports soon!

-Peter

15. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

Peter,
    Why did you order from JVB Digital?

Any particular reason why people are not ordering from HKflix?

Thanks!

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I ordered from them for three reasons. First they seemed to be very nice & helpful people during the pre-purchase correspondence that we had thru email. Second, they offered a wide selection of products plus other services both before & after your purchase. And finally their office is only a 45 minute drive north of me in Dearborn MI & I could pick the DVD player up in person at a small discount & avoid shipping charges. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Piers C

Jeff_HR,

Sounds good! Can you add more detail on the products/services that were of interest?

What Sony were you using before you got your JVC? How does picture quality compare? Anything else you miss except for the time remaining feature?

Thanks!

18. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

This page shows the optional add-ons for DVD players that are purchased from them or that you already own. These add-ons can be done prior to or after purchase. My Sony was a DVP-C660. I think that my JVC displays a better picture, but that is my personal perception. I also miss the being able to load multiple disks, since the Sony was carousal & the JVC is single disk. Unfortunately for me when I was ready to buy from JVB, they no longer were able to sell the JVC carousal player I wanted.

19. Piers C

Jeff_HR,

Thank you for the link to the JVB extras!

Sorry to hear that you it wasn't possible for you to get a changer at the time. It sounds like your purchase has worked out very well.

I was not familiar with JVB before I came across your post - can you tell me what their office/distribution center was like? From your comments it seems that they are legitimate? I guess the real question is would you buy from them again?

Buying over the net for AV can be a leap of faith sometimes, so I envy you for having the chance to visit them directly!