Thoughts on my HTPC?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by mikeMarz, May 10, 2005.

1. mikeMarz

mikeMarz Extra

I was thinking of building a new pc and stumbled into the world of HTPC. This is a list of the componants I am thinking of putting into my HTPC.

Graphics Card: ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9700Pro 102-95701 ALL-IN-WONDER Radeon 9700Pro 128MB 256-bit DDR VIVO AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102365 $159

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800S-X Socket 478 Intel 848P ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....ria=MB-BA20771 $65

Processor: P4 2.26 Ghz (533 Mhz FSB) $111
    Case: Silverstone LC03Vhttp://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc03v.htm $225-280

Memory:Mwave 1 GB DDR400 $86

I have a few questions regarding this setup. What will I need to do about extra cooling? I assume I will need to buy a heatsink or fan for the processor and possibly something for the graphics card as well. Will I need the optional bottom fan for the case? Also, do I need a sound card? the motherboard comes with spdif as well as mini outputs. Any thoughts on how this system will perform (mp3, tv capture, gaming) would also be appreciated.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

One important thing to think about with HTPC is the noise level. Look into the Zalman heatsinks for the CPU. They make an all copper one with a big fan on it that should fit the bill. If you do get the optional case fan, make sure you get a "silent" one that operates under 25dB.

Looks like a pretty good setup, although I'm not familiar with the brand of RAM.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Here is my setup which is similiar to yours:
    Memory:
    512MB DDR400 PC3200 Non-ECC Elixir
    DDR 512MB|DDR400 CL3 PC3200

Hard Drives:
    Seagate Barracuda 200g 8MB
    Samsung Spinpoint SATA 160g

Video Card:
    Sapphire RADEON 9600 ATLANTIS 256MB DDR AGP8X TVO/DVI

DVD:
    DVD+/-RW NEC ND-2510A BLK

Power Supply:
    POWER SUPPLY CMAX 400WCX-400B BK

CPU FAN:
    Zalman CNPS7000-CU CPU Cooler

Motherboard:
    MB ASUS P4 P4P800S-X 848P ICH5 RET

Case Fans:
    Nexus 80mm Real Silent Case Fan(X2)

======================================
    For quietness make sure you buy a quiet powersupply, CPU fan and case fans. You can go fanless but that gets expensive.

The onboard sound will work fine unless you start combining zoomplayer with reclock etc for video playback. Then you need to use a different driver for the onboard soundcard.

Any other questions let us know.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

5. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I had the p4p800s in my old pc before I built up a amd64. Its a nice board should do you well. What brand is the memory your ordering? Make sure its name brand name ram to ensure stability. If you want some ram I know works well Newegg.com has 1 gig of cosair value ram for 78.00 which I have had great luck with. For your graphics card cooler I would get a Arctic cooling VGA silencer, those are nice since they are quiet and the cooler vents the hot air from the card out the back of the case. That will help the cooling.

6. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

7. ross stacey

ross stacey Auditioning

I recently built a HTPC using similar specs. to you.
    Noise is important if you have it in the lounge room.
    I used an Antec Overture case which has a quiet Power supply and case fans.
    I selected an ATI Radeon 9550 12MB video card which has a DVI output for a plasma monitor and has a heat sink instead of fan for cooling.
    The standard Intel heat sink and fan for a 3.06 Prescott CPU is far too noisy so I replaced the sink with a Zalman AL-CU CPU cooler.
    The performance and quietness of this unit is quite satisfactory

8. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

Its my understanding, but I am probably wrong, that if you want to do everything with your HTPC, including HD WM discs, you need a haul-ass (>3GHz) processor.

9. ross stacey

ross stacey Auditioning

My 3.06 works nicely but I believe 2.4ghz works just as well for DTV. I think 3 may be better for editing recorded programs but not needed for vieweing and recording.
    [​IMG]