What's new

Thoughts on Motorola's "Broadband Drop Amplifier" (1 Viewer)

I'd like to get one of these as I think it will help my weak cable signal. WideOpenWest (my cable provider) doesn't seem very cooperative with boosting the signal out in the yard or at the head office. I think my low channel was rated around 3.5 dB, high channel being 6.7 dB.
This Motorola Amp looks like it could really help. Boost signal by as much as +15 dB.
I found it at Best Buy for $80, but they only had the model with the one output. I'd really like the model with 4 outputs and maybe one of Motorola's 4-way, 5-1000Mhz splitters. (We have a lot of TV's in our house:)
Anyone have one of these or know where to get the 4 output model? Thanks.

Robert Cranwell

Stunt Coordinator
Rob, you only need 0dbmv at the set for a good picture. there is no real way to boost the head end signal just to accomodate your home, everything is balanced from the street. If you run into any more problems that can't be resolved by a technician with picture quality, call the local office and ask for Mike Jury; he is a long time friend of mine and should be able to help.

Rob Cranwell

Robert,

Thanks for the contact. I assume he works for WideOpenWest? I might ask for him as a last resort.

Btw, do you think replacing the old RG59 cables that run through my house would be helpful too? From what I read the newer digital cable really works better over RG6 (RG56)? That's how the cable comes into our house, via RG6, but all the home runs inside the house to each TV are the thinner RG59.

Robert Cranwell

Stunt Coordinator
It all depends how long the runs are? @550mhz"CH.78" the loss between RG-6 and RG59 is 1dbmv per100' the real importance is the quality of shielding of the cable itself. Where you can have a RG-6 cable with 2-ply 60% braid and quad-shield RG-59 with 90%, the RG-59 cable in this case is better. So have someone from the cable company take an overall look at everything you have in the house from cable,connectors, and splitters to the overall signal level at each television.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks