1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Marantz Laserdisc Players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Glover, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Needing some information from the HTF on Marantz Laserdisc players. The player I am eyeing is the LV-500. It has an optical out but no AC-3 RF. Thanks in advance.

2. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Tim:

If no one here can help, I know that Mr. Knapp over at HTTalk will know - I know he's a huge Marantz fan and he's sold Marantz LD players in the past.

Hope this helps.

Rich B.

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Thanks Rich very much! I'll check over there too. Have a good one.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tim, it must be pretty old. Marantz's 520 is a clone of the Pieauhnear CLD-59 (95-97) and has the AC-3 output. The 510 is a clone of the older CLD-53, so it is pre-AC-3. So, the 500 must be early 90's...? I hope Mike can tell you exactly. Best wishes!

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Racheal, yes I'm thinking '93? I sent an email to Mike so we'll see. I also emailed Marantz and they faxed me a copy of the spec sheet but I couldn't find the production year. I remember the 520 model being pretty well regarded so it's probably ok but one never knows. And I'm getting it for nearly nothing. Thanks for the feedback.

6. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    I have the 520....it has the RF out, the 500 does not. You can do DTS (optical) with the 500 but not DD5.1.

Other than that they are pretty much the same I think.

Mike

7. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Thanks Mike and to all for your responses. I suppose it's safe to say that it's a decent player. Everyone have a good weekend. [​IMG]

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tim, the 500 might be a clone of the CLD-52? If it has no seperate CD drawer, fair chance it could be...? I had the CLD's 52, 53, and 59. The 52 & 53 are pretty equal but the 53 has the little CD drawer. We're talking 49 db pic on these guys. The 59 bumped the pic up to 50 db, it's a noticable improvement. That should give you a good idea about what you're getting. Make sure you're getting it really cheap. You could get a used 59 in the 2 to $250 range....Good luck on it! Best wishes from Laserland!

9. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Hey Rachael,

I'm going by later today to get a first hand look at this and give it a thorough inspection. I've just been doing the transaction over the phone etc... so I will have more hands on info about this evening. From the picture it looks like a CLD-52. Pardon my ignorance but is there really a difference from 49 db to 50? Thanks for sharing your insight. I will post some of my conclusions when I return this evening.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tim, each 1 db you go up is noticable on LD players. I know it doesn't sound like much, but 51 & 52 db gets you into the high performance range. Best wishes for your road trip!

11. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Tim, there is a BIG difference between 50 db and up. A Pioneer 703/704/79 and the Panasonic 900/1000 will do 51 db. The 97 and 99 jumped up to 52........and the REALLY high-end players like the Pioneer S-9, Runco LJR I+II, the McIntosh 7020, and MSB pieces jumped up to 54 db or even higher! The LDX-9 is supposed to be 56 db.......my LJR II is 54 db and the picture that it has incredible.......I compared it to my 79 and there was a very noticeable difference. Shoot for a Panny 900 or a 703/704/79 if you can. Good luck and hope this helps!

12. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

So the Marantz LV520 has the same circuitry as a Pioneer Elite CLD-59?! That's great as I just bought one for a little over $100 with several LD's on eBay. Hopefully it is in the as-described condition [​IMG]

13. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Talk about getting your bubble birsted! Damn! I checked out the LV-500 in person and it looks great, (gold) but the price was WAAAAYYAYAYAYAYA more than I am willing to pay for a machine w/out an AC-3 RF out. So it's back to ebay and the f/s forum. On the way home out of curiosity I stopped by a few pawn shops with no luck. One high end audio/video store has a Pioneer DVL-909 demo for 425.00. Still out of my price range...maybe I am unrealistic of how much I have to pay for a quality ld player. How stupid do I feel having just re-purchased some lasers without a player!

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Just be patient Tim. Look what Jim turned up. There are just way to many folks bailing out of the format. There's a steady flow of players, you'll find one. Good luck!

15. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Tim,

I still have a Marantz LV-510 if that interests you.

It has S-Video and PCM digital out but no AC-3

John Casler.