thoughts on leaving receiver on all the time

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brenden, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Brenden

Brenden Extra

will this damage the receiver? is it ok to leave it on over night if nothing is running through it at the time?

2. John S

John S Producer

Well yeah every once in a while, I don't think I would leave them on 24/7/365 though.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Make it less radical: When using the system, leave the receiver on for the entire day. That is, if you screen a film earlier in the day and plan to see another flick much later, leave it on for all that time (but with the audio muted). Otherwise, yes, turn it off at the end of the day.

4. MarkSherm

MarkSherm Auditioning

Based on my limited experience, I personally wouldn't worry too much about leaving it on for extended periods on occassion.....but I would suggest turning it off during long periods when it is not going to be used. If you forget now and then, I don't think it will really hurt your receiver much IF you have it away from heat sources (direct sunlight or other electronic devices) and keep it well ventilated (for example: don't stack other components on or around it that 1) block the receiver's air vents and 2) generate a heat of their own which can cause the receiver to get excessively hot).

5. Brenden

Brenden Extra

thanks guys.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Keep in mind some devices last longer when not cycled on/off all the time, they can stay at their normal operating temperature 24/7, and can last damn near forever.

I'm not saying this is the case with all gear, such as entry-midfi receivers but certainly there is some merit to this.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I agree with Mark. As long as you have good ventilation (and not lots of power spikes/outages in your AC service), you can leave the unit on.

I have a Yamaha reciever that has been left on for months at a time powering speakers for my computer.

8. Andre Baptiste

Yes you can leave the reciever on all the time without having anydamaging effects on it..you should however plug it into a surge protector to give it maximum protection.Sometime its even better to leave on some audio equipment all the time....like certain high powered amps requires a warm up time of around 30 mins.....or so then it would perform too its best capabilities so in that situation its better to leave it on all the time.........i hope this helps