Thoughts on Infinity Primus?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Lee_L, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

I saw on Circuit City's website that they're having a small sale on the Primus series from Infinity, so I decided to stop by and listen. I liked what I heard quite a bit! Here are the links:

center channel

mains

That would total out to roughly $600 with tax, for all 3 speakers. Now this is my current setup:

I have a Yamaha center channel, link, that sounds decent enough, but my mains are Sony's from like 5 years ago that are 3-way, 8", 3-4", and a tweeter...these things suck, they were about $100 a pair.

Now, is there better out there for the same price? Or even for less? Are there comparable speakers for less? Also, I've been reading up on Fluance, and so far most of what I've read is good though there has been some bad. Would the Fluance AV-HTB be comparable to these Infinitys or a step down? Here's the link:
    http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html

Well, sorry for so many questions guys but I'm in the process of upgrading my ht system! [​IMG]

2. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I say jump on them. I use the 150's and C25 with a Pioneer 814. Stereophile's review of the 150 was quite favorable, but more importantly, the measurements were excellent (and much more detailed than something you'd find in S&V and the like). I tried out the 250's all around at first and really liked them, but they dominated the room too much so I switched to the smaller 150's. The Primus series sounds very good to me, but in a room with bare walls, sibilants and sharps highs like sword clangs can sometimes be too much. Or, it might just be my low-end receiver. Highly recommended.

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

What are your needs? Do you listen mostly to HT. You could benefit more from a higher end bookshelf set up if you plan on getting a decent sub.

As far as Fluance goes the SX-HTB gets much better reviews than the AV. I have a fluance set up so if your leaning toward that then fire some questions my way.

4. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Which Fluance setup do you have? What do you like and dislike about it?

My needs...hmm, I watch a lot of movies, mainly comedy, horror, action, sci-fi. I watch a lot of sports, and occasionally basic TV, my roommate watches a lot of MTV, E! crap like he's in high school or something, but I watch a lot of Discovery HD, Speed Channel, etc. I play music through my system a lot--rock, alternative, metal, blues, classical. I plan on getting the ~$100 Dayton 10" sub from partsexpress.com since I'm on a budget and I've read GREAT things.

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Are you looking for a 5 speaker setup or just mains and a center? What kind of budget are you working with? Search primus 250 on the speaker thread there are some iffy opinions about them.

My fluance set up is
    2 SV-10
    2 SV-6's
    1 SV avsc

To be honest Im not so impressed with the SV-10's they are very bright and sort of tipsy. The build quality on fluance speakers is excellent "for the money".

I am however very, very impressed with the SV-6's. These are my rear surrounds, and I actually wish I bought these for my mains as well. Other than the AVSC being black and not matching, you'd be hard pressed to find anything comparable for 70$ hands down.

I think if your main focus is HT you could do far better with a restricted budget going with a Bookshelf set up. That way eventually if you want the towers you'll have a 7.1 set up in the making. In order to buy decent towers in that range you may be sacrificing some important quality aspects.

""That would total out to roughly $600 with tax, for all 3 speakers.""

Is this your target??

6. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Well I'm not too concerned with my surrounds, I have some cheap Sony bookshelves, and from what I notice, there isn't much coming from the back anyway, so I'm not worried with spending much on those. I'll upgrade them later on, but for now they're going to have to do. I'm getting about $1200 back from income tax, but I'd like to have some of that to invest into products for my new business (only a couple hundred dollars.) But I need a new receiver, mains, center, and a sub. So...basically less than a grand for all that [​IMG]

7. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    I currently am using Primus 150's as my main surrounds, and have been extremely impressed with them.
    Don't underestimate what some good full-range surrounds can add to your presentation.....[​IMG]

8. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Check out the Internet companies. Ive actually been toying with buying a set up from

www.Aperionaudio.com

here are some reviews..

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...mShootout1.php

http://cnet.search.com/search?part=&q=aperion+intimus

http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Speaker/Aperion+Audio+(formerly+Edge+Audio)/MPL_9999_1594crx.aspx

YOu can get 2 522d-lr and the 522 center for 540 shipped. You can try these out completely free and if you dont like them then send them back. I havent heard them unfortunately but there is numerous glowing reviews about them. You would also have to shell out for stands as well. Here are some other Internet retailers to check if youre interested in a bookshelf set up.

www.axiomaudio.com
    www.ascendacoustics.com

The last two would be stretching your 600 mark though.

9. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

I've looked at internet companies, but I'm not going to spend the same amount of money on an internet company if I cant' hear it, not at this point in time, I just don't have the funds, it'd have to be much cheaper than the Infinitys.

10. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

If you insist on the floor standers check these out, JBL is hot right now because of the price/quality factor.

www.bhphotovideo.com

Search jbl e80 and ec35. The link is too long.

I believe you can get the e35 center from the same sight for the 180 out the door that your infinity costs.

You can listen at best buy but listening in these types of retailers really isnt going to give any accurate feedback.

11. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

Lee,
    I understand your hesitancy on buying "Internet" brand speakers. As Ryan suggested, Aperion allows you to try their speakers out in your own home with no sales tax or shipping charges. Over the last 2 years I've bought many things from them and I've not returned anything. I really like their sound and their finish is perfect for me in my den. I wouldn't count them out if I were you.

12. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Hey Mitch I think Lee abandoned this thread and started a JBL one. Do you mind if I ask which Aperions you have??

13. Mitch_J

I have the 522's L/R and the VACC in the center with the 522SS Dipoles/Bipoles in back and the S-12 Sub. All in a cherry finish. Hooked with Cobalt cables (L/R) and Monster wire (freebie) to an HK AVR 225. Any other questions I'll be happy to answer.

14. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

RyanJE, I haven't abandoned this thread, I simply had a very busy day yesterday. Anyway, I've abandoned the buying of the Infinity speakers. I'm going to go listen to the JBLs today, and if I like them I think I'm going to go ahead and order them online. They're almost $200 cheaper overall for the front stage--stereo L/R and center.

15. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

OK Lee. If your no longer interested in the Primus 250 do you mind if I ask Mitch about his speakers. Or is this thread still of some use to you?? Thats all I meant by abandoning this thread, your interest did shift to another speaker did it not?

16. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Oh no, by all means go ahead, its' fine with me. [​IMG]

17. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Mitch whats your main focus, HT? Im very interested in aperions and will audition but they will be the last set since I have to wait until end of April for ship. How do they sound warm, bright, neutral? Im concerned about the 522 80hz low end response, where do you cross your sub over at?

18. Mitch_J

RyanJE
    It's mainly HT But I also listen to music SACD/DVD-A/DTS too. Fairly nuetral sounding. I have mine running off of a HK AVR 225. Most HK's are on the warm side I've been told. I think they are clean and clear. My receiver crossover is fixed at 100 Hz So I played around for awhile with the subs crossover and phase(polarity) knobs Until things seemed seamless.
    Aperion people have been wonderful people to talk with and they are so easy to deal with too. I have absolutly no complaints.

19. John S

John S Producer

The Primus, is a good speaker line.. No reason at all, not to give em a shot on a good deal.

If you don't like em, raise a stink, take em back, get something else.

20. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

I've decided to go with JBL instead, cheaper and I liked their sound just as much. [​IMG]