Thoughts on in wall cables/wiring....

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Bobby C, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Bobby C

Bobby C Stunt Coordinator

This weekend I finished about 80% of my wall studding (I have to deal with a few pipe issues) and was talking to a friend about how I'm going to run speaker wire & component/DVI cables though the walls as well. He said that there may be 'fire' issues with certain cables. The issue is that if the cables are not rated properly & there is a fire (even though it may not be the cable's fault) an insurance company may not pay.

Does anyone have familiarity with this? Would using some sort of conduit alleviate this issue?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Bob, cables rating for in-wall use are UL CL3 rated. You can alleviate this by putting cables inside a sealed plenum or conduit, yes. The CL3 rated "plastic" is less susceptible to fire...burns slower, while standard cable may in fact add to a fire's intensity buy burning very quickly.

3. Bobby C

Bobby C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info, Eric.

Are all cables in this same category (outside of electrical)? I'm thinking of speaker, component, DVI, etc. Is PVC pipe CL3 rated?

Bob

4. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Coaxial and speaker wire are rated for in-wall use...but if you put all your wires, speaker, component, DVI, etc, inside a PVC pipe you will be fine and meet all codes no problem. For PVC pipe is allowed for use in-walls, in fact many plumbers are now using a type of PVC pipe instead of copper, it's more affordable and easier to install.

E