Thoughts on HK avr130

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Michael_Cho, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Michael_Cho

Michael_Cho Extra

Am going to get a setup with 3 dues and 2 micros. DO not see myself upgrading speakers / going 6.1 anytime in the foreseeable future. Using just for home theater/music listening (don't need a/b switching, although I'm not sure what that means, I don't think I need it). Was wondering, does it make sense spending more than $300 (going price) on a receiver? It seems like I would just get options / functionality that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of. Please advise. thx

mike

2. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Stunt Coordinator

The avr 130 is an excellent basic 5.1 unit. In a small room it would do a very nice job. It has the smooth HK sound for music and very capable 5.1 perfomance. I wasnt sure what type of speakers you were using from you descriptions. If you can get this one for around 300 I'd say go for it. I am sure you wont be disapointed. I think they did a review on it over at audioholics.

3. Michael_Cho

Michael_Cho Extra

sorry, to clarify, speakers are anthony gallos. Other than the ability to go 6 or 7 channels, or to fill a larger type room; is there anything that shelling out more for an amp will get you (keeping in mind speakers aren't top-end)

4. Dan DRC

I dont think you will gain that much more in a small room set up. I like Yamaha stuff quite a bit, you might check and see what they have to offer in that price range. If you can pick up the HK 130 at around 300 I think it is one of the best in that price range. I like the fact it has an adj crossover and the logic 7 mode. The amp section is typical HK, smooth and underrated.

5. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

yeah it will sound pretty good in 5.1;you seriously won't be disappointed

6. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

jandr.com had it for $280. One thing I couldn't make out on the pics is does it have preouts. That would be a plus in case you want to get a separate amp in the future.

7. Michael_Cho

Michael_Cho Extra

Thanks to everyone who replied. i went ahead and picked up the receiver at jandr. Assume that at the point that I actually understand the benefit of getting the seperate amp, it'll probably be time to replace the whole shebang.

thanks again.

8. Dan DRC

The HK 130 does not have preouts. You cannot add an amp to it.