What's new

Thoughts on Guzzlefish? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm more than happy with the DVD listings at Link Removed , but I recently discovered the Guzzlefish collection tracker, and I think I kinda dig it.

I love that it breaks down your collection into different stat categories, although it pains me to see how much the estimated expense of my collection is. ;)

How new is this website? Have most of you DVD lunatics tried it out yet? Do you think it's cool? Does it suck? I know that most people adore DVD Profiler, but I've never warmed up to that one for some odd reason.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I started making a guzzlefish listing about a year ago, but I found the site to be very slow loading and while the stats are kind of cool, I just much prefer DVD Aficionado.

I tried DVD profiler a couple of times and I too did not care for it. It seemed kind of clunky and cumbersome. Not to mention that IMHO it's user interface is butt-ugly and has a very unfinished look to it

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
I use both DVDProfiler and Guzzlefish, although I refer to Profiler more. Guzzlefish is great for finding the most represented actor, director, etc. in your collection, as well as which DVDs are out of print. DVDProfiler has a discount report, which shows you total MSRP and total $ paid - at least the second number is less painful. :D

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Does Guzzlefish (or Afficiando) allow you to export a database or run printable reports? Those are features that I find useful in DVD Profiler for exporting to my handheld, printing a directory or insurance value report, etc...

BTW, DVD Profiler now has the updated version 2.2.0 available to all. I just updated yesterday and it seems to run faster.

Click here for a the DVD Profiler site, then click on "Release Notes" and "This Release" on the menu to see the updates.

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator

Guzzlefish doesn't - that's why I find DVDProfiler indispensable. In fact, that's how I input my DVDs into GF - exported a csv from DP with UPCs and pasted blocks 100 at a time into GF's search bar. I wouldn't use Guzzlefish as my only database, but it is neat to know Jackie Chan is my most collected actor, and Steven Spielberg is my most collected director. DP doesn't offer lists like that.

Good to know version 2.2.0 has been finalized. I highly recommend anyone running DVDProfiler download this - it runs faster and has some nice new features.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Could someone tell me how to export a CSV file with UPC from DVD Profiler? When I go to export, UPC is not a selectable option. I would like to try Guzzlefish, but I don't want to enter each UPC by hand.

Thanks.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I love Guzzlefish myself, although like others I shudder when I see what my collection is worth. :D

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I just put my collection in Guzzlefish. That program is so cool. I might just have to look at some others and see what they can do.

Plus the colors are very soothing. I know I didn't pay that much money for some of those DVD's though.

for example I paid $44.50 for the 4 disk widescreen Indiana Jones collection and it came up as costing $70. So the price thing is a little squewed.

But neato non the less

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
Now that you mention it, I think it was a bit more convoluted than I remember. I think I exported the xml file, found a xml to csv converter, and went from there. I'll have to look when I get home, but I can PM you with the URL for the converter. Sorry to have mislead you, it's been a while since I did it.

Bill,
I think Guzzlefish uses MSRP for DVDs and has no place to input price paid. DVDProfiler is great for that.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I almost hefted when I got done entering my collection into guzzlefish. I know I have not spent that much on my collection. A good estimation would probably be to reduce it by 15-20%.

It's very surprising to see who you most collected actor, director, writer, is.

Bummer I cant enter my LD collection.

my collection

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Why can't you enter your LD collection? I just finished entering my DVDs and I see that they also claim to manage Laser Discs also. I like DVD Profiler better as a database, but Guzzlefish is probably better for quick statistics and sharing my collection online.

I am going to start entering my CDs on Guzzlefish now.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hated the cumbersome Profiler, so I decided to use Guzzlefish, which was more user-friendly, but after filing my 700+ dvds on that I soon lost interest in updating it.
It's been 6 months since I looked at the site.

I'll stick to my own home-made database in a folder on my desktop, fast and easy, and I can customise it to my hearts content. I also index my documentaries, books, CDs, soundtracks without any fuss.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
My DVD Profiler was having technical problems yesterday, so I decided to try out Guzzlefish. For DVDs, I found it to be pretty good. I really like the stats and the interface. Except for my demo/bonus discs, I managed to input my entire collection.

Unfortunately, their database is seriously lacking when it comes to CDs and games. Only about half of my video game collection shows up on their database and submitting new titles is a pain. They're also missing about 20 of my CDs, although admittedly, they are pretty obscure. I think I'll stick to CD Tracker and IGN for keeping track of my CDs and games, respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks