What's new

Thoughts on GNR (AXL) at VMA? (1 Viewer)

StevenW

Second Unit
Was this not the most horrible performance ever?! Jesus christ he literally sounded like Mickey Mouse. whoahhh!

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
:thumbsdown:
Somewhere, right now, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, and Matt are laughing their asses off.
I was a huge, huge GN'R fan back in their heyday. This was embarrassing. The band wasn't bad, but Axl's "singing" was cringe-worthy. I'd like to think that this performance was a fluke, or an off-night, but I get the feeling that it wasn't.
I hate the fact that this crap is called "Guns N' Roses".

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
Sad.

Axl sounded awful, but he looked worse. He looked like an overweight couch potato Axl impersonator wearing a bad set of fake dreds under that big blue bandana. And what is with the rest of the band? I mean, people used to talk about Slash's hat all the time, but now they have a guy who wears a KFC bucket on his head with a porcelain mask and yellow rain slicker. What is that about?

Oh well, I was never a huge GNR fan anyway. This was just pathetic, though. I'm pretty sure it made even non-fans the world over cringe.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
You're referring to Buckethead. I believe he was a member of Fishbone and is actually quite respected as a guitarist, despite his eccentricities.

I didn't see the performance, but I'm not surprised. Axl always had a severe case of LSD (Lead Singer's Disease). Maybe one day he'll learn that the most important part of a band is, well, the band.

Let the name Guns N' Roses rest already.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Axl was just awful last night. People give David Lee Roth a hard time--at least he has charisma. All Rose has left is a band name he has no business using/ruining and that silly dance-thing he does. :thumbsdown:

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
The band sounded good, I dont know what the hell Axl's problem was. Ive heard some tunes from their recent concerts which were a hell of a lot better. He sounded like he lost his voice right after the scream to open up 'Welcome to the jungle'... the running around didnt help him too much either.
Pretty dissapointing performance. Im keeping my fingers crossed that it was an off night. :confused:

Salvador

Second Unit
That whole show was a joke (except for Shakira's performance of course ;) ).
And how could they make such a big deal out of justin looserlake's 'solo' performance. That was such a poor impersonation of michael jackson.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I find it terribly ironic to see Axl now. Here is a textbook primadonna type who abused all the power and fame he ever got for selfish indulgence-- and truely felt it could never end. And now when the world grows tired of showering him with their undying love - then he struggle to hold on to his former status.

It reminds me of the guy you know who mistreats his woman for years, and when she finally gets sick of it and moves on- then he spends all his pathetic energies trying to convince her that he really is worthy.

Hilarious. I love to see the other show drop.

-V

MatS

Screenwriter
poor Axl???!!! poor Axl???!!! forget about that @ssclown, more like poor Tommy Stinson. What ever was he thinking. This is anything but 'Perfect'.

sad thing is when their record is finally released it will still do almost half a mill first week

ps. love how MTV runs the credits over what they considered to be a major 'event'

MatS

Screenwriter
Wasn't it funny how Michael Jackson thought he was Artist of the Millenium but they were just giving him a birthday cake?
I was just trying to figure out what baseball team he was suiting up for with the impending announcement of a strike.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
ps. love how MTV runs the credits over what they considered to be a major 'event'
It doesnt matter if..
1. You like GnR or not
2. Or if they gave a top notch performance
MTV was pretty pathetic showing the credits.
"Guns n Roses" first "official" live performance in such a long time should not have been cut out by some lame credits.
That was really quite sad. :thumbsdown:

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I used to love GNR in Junior High School. But it's been so long now, I don't understand Axl's need to resurrect them.

You're referring to Buckethead. I believe he was a member of Fishbone
He's never been in Fishbone but he's played with Primus on occasion. Mostly, Buckethead's had a career as a solo artist. Some of his stuff is actually pretty fantastic.

Mark

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the show yet, but the G'n'R thing was a big reason I want to.

My understanding is that the new band is considered damn solid. Axl is the type of singer that can certainly have off nights, simply due to his style.

People were raving about their Rio show last year, so you have to wonder. Having a bad show on US TV sure is not what you want to do to convince fans you are solid.

I also don't fully understand his need to have GNR go on without AT LEAST Slash. I mean, Diamond Dave and Mick Jagger do SOLO work, but they can still do the band's songs in concert too. Axl is famous, he could still play GNR songs in concert, people would know what the show was going to be, but go out as Axl (and some clever new band name).

I mean DLRoth is the PERFECT template. I actually thought his first 2 solo records were as good as or better than 5150 and OU812. He put together a great band (Steve Vai is especially no slouch) and still can sing. He did it the right way.

What Axl is doing seems more like ELO 2.
(though ironically the new ELO album is just a Jeff Lynn record, but then much of ELO always was).

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
AXL sounded like he sucked on some helium and was then kicked in the nads by steel-toed boot before he went onstage.

Tracii Guns, Slash, Duff, Steve, etc must have had one hell of a good laugh at that 'performance'..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks