thoughts on G4 iBooks... (vs. TiBook G4)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brice, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

I was currently looking at a 12" titanium power book when i saw that these just became available, anyone know/have a G4 iBook? and if you do, how does it compare to the tiBook, I still am leaning towards the Titanium book (looks and that glorious superdrive)... i want a mac (already got a pc), and may try to get my act together for a TiBook by christmas... is there any good comparisons online between the G4 iBook and the G4 TiBook? also, on another note, can the TiBook (12") output to an external monitor with a higher res than 1024x768? if so, what's the max, and can it be used as a two monitor display? I would love to run something like Painter with my pallets on the laptop window and the canvas on the other... thanks all, sorry for it being lengthy, Brice

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The iBooks are similar in performance to the first generation 12-inch PowerBook I have. But the new 12-inch PowerBook has a faster processor and more importantly (to me at least), accomodates double the amount of RAM. More important to you, the PowerBook is available with the SuperDrive and you can run dual displays with it. Max resolution on the external display is 2048x1536. BTW, the Powerbooks are all aluminum enclosures (AlBooks!) now...no more Titanium.

3. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

thanks, i think i'm going for a TiBook, oh "AlBook" [​IMG] but then again, it all depends on if i got the cash by christmas... thanks for the information about the output resolution, does that number apply when using dual monitors? Or would it be just two 1024 screens? Brice

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

That resolution is just for the external desplay when running dual monitors. You still get 1024x768 on the laptop at the same time.

5. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    There's no longer a huge disparity between the maximum RAM of the G4 iBook and 12" PowerBook now that TransIntl.com has introduced their 1 GB upgrade, but at $450, it isn't cheap.

I prefer the look of the iBook, but 1024x768 (even on the 14", which is a travesty) strikes me as being a bit small for OS X. Then again, 1024x768 strikes me as being a bit small for anything but a second monitor these days. I don't know how I used a grayscale 640x480 PowerBook 5300 as my main system back in the day. [​IMG]

6. DonG

DonG Auditioning

This is very interesting as I've been thinking of buying a G4 powerbook as well. One question though, I have a PC at home (PIII, 450MHz) and would like to set up Wi-Fi btw my new mac and the PC. I've heard they are compatible.

1) Which brand should I buy? Can I use the AirPort base with my PC, and the AirPort card in the MAC?
    2) How well does this actually work?

I want to be able to use my printer and surf the internet, both of which are off my PC using the Wi-Fi network.

Thanks,

Don

7. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

The AirPort will function with any other 802.11b/g wireless products you may already have (card in PC, access point, etc).

It works surprisingly well, especially with the revised antenna placement in the new Aluminum PowerBooks.

8. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    There's no reason to buy the AirPort Base Station. I like the looks of it, but I liked the looks of the $30 price tag on my CompUSA-branded wireless router more, and the AirPort card in a titanium PowerBook recognized the connection just fine.