What's new

Thoughts on Fixed Proj Screen on Wall Behind Dipoles (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Like to get some feedback on the difference in audio quality between having a fixed screen on the wall behind planar dipoles versus installing a pull-down screen and leaving it up during critical music listening.

I'll be getting a projector soon, so the fact that I'm removing a big TV from between these speakers will provide a discernable inprovement in the audio quality (I did use my audio setup for about 2 weeks prior to the TV being moved in and did notice a difference for the worse after the TV was in). I'd like to know if the back wall being disrupted by a screen would impact the audio quality in a noticeable way versus a (relatively) smooth wall between the speakers. The screen will likely be a Stewart Firehawk. The fixed screen apparently does come out a few inches from the wall due to screen and mounting hardware thicknesses.

My preference is to go the fixed screen route unless I can be convinced that a non-negligible improvement would exist with the screen rolled up out of the way.

Thanks.

Doug

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well I can't really answer your question but I have to add that the Firehawk fixed screen (same as what I have) will tremendously boost your projector's picture quality) and I cannot imagine that there will be any noticeable difference in sound quality because of the screen (but I could be wrong).

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I know only enough to be dangerous. I beleive that some screens are perforated in order to allow music to pass through - most often the center channel.

I believe that a projection screen is more sound absorbing than reflecting.

Your television was very reflective. That is why you noticed the distortion. The width of your TV caused some of your speakers sound to be reflected back at the speaker. To be technical- the sounds reflected were out of phase with the original sounds, and 'deadened' the overall sound you heard. (depending on the distance from the speakers)

Having a screen (almost flush) with the wall will eliminate the reflective trouble you had. Fixed is better than pull-down as fixed can be made at near zero clearance; the closer the better. The screen itself should prove to be BETTER than just having a blank wall, as it will absorb some of the stray sounds that bounce around off the walls.

(of course, sound absorbent material would be best, but with your speakers behind the screen, and your room not being miniscule, the difference should be small)

I would encourage you to put sound absorbing material on the other walls as well. You want to eliminate the rogue sounds that bounce off hard, reflective surfaces.

No leather sofa-you want fabric. No cofee table, no bookshelves. Get real extreme and treat the ceiling with accoustic spray texture from Home Depot. You get the point.

Now, often the spouse-inator won't allow this, so be ready to comprimise. Get decorative rugs and felt to hang from the walls. (not the felt dogs playing poker!) Put a table cover over the offee table. Buy her a diamond.

I would suggest just taking it one step at a time. My bet is that once your screen is up you find the sound improvement satisfactory. Anything else may be negligible.

Finally, try getting a meter and test disk. Be prepared to move your speakers. The shape and size of your room will have an effect.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Eric,
Thanks for all the suggestions. One point, though, that you may not have appreciated in my post is the fact that my speakers are planar dipoles. As such, there is benefit to the direct reflections that occur when the energy of the dipoles radiate toward the wall behind them (positioning is not easy to get this right). My point of the post is to ascertain in advance whether the existence of the fixed screen may "damage" the desired reflections noticably versus just having an uninterrupted wall surface behind and between the speakers.
As for the other suggestions, I do have drapes on both the right and left walls that take care of direct reflections from the sides, and i have carpeting (although the dipoles have limited vertical dispersion; thus I am not concerned with my ceiling). I admit to leather seating, though. However, I did some experimenting a while back with covering up the sofa with non-reflective material and did not hear a difference.
I'm looking forward to getting rid of the TV from this room. :emoji_thumbsup:
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks