thoughts on edited episodes in general

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Chris Wall, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Chris Wall

Chris Wall Agent

I think that it is stupid to release edited episodes. I mean what if a cd had 10% of each song missing? However, I did buy the Alf sets but only with Christmas money and gift cards. Plus for the season one set they said on the box that it was a complete season and listed an inflated running time. I don't know what grounds one would have in terms of false advertising charges but an inflated run time listed should be enough. If studios are forced to put up disclaimers regading commentaries and interviews then they should make it clear that they have edited episodes, which they did for season 2

I just wish Fusco would step out of his costume and make sure unedited episodes get released, I would hope he would have enough pride in his work to let us see the full episodes as shows 20-30 years older than Alf have released complete episodes in good quality. Certainly the tapes haven't deteriorated that badly.

As far as music replacement goes, I'm not a huge stickler for songs as long as episodes are complete and I could live with Happy Days releaases without music as long as episodes are complete since I don't remember the songs airing originally anyway.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Unless you purchased a used copy, you still put your (gift) money in the pocket of Paul Fusco and the studio.

The source of the money isn't important, where it ends up is. I may cave and purchase ALF someday, but only if I find a used copy in decent condition.

3. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I've gotten CDs that had songs edited down for length (one quick example would be My Life by Billy Joel on his Greatest Hits album). Not common, but this isn't a new phenomenon in the DVD industry.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

But that's an oxymoron. You can't have a complete episode that is incomplete because of missing music. If the music is incomplete, or the audio, or the video or anything else, then the show is NOT complete.

5. Chris Wall

Chris Wall Agent

Yeah you're right that it didn't matter where the money came from. The fact I wasn't even planning on buying it when I walked into the store, I just saw it and nothing else much appealing that I didn't have and caved in mostly because I saw it and it hasn't aired much in reruns since the mid-90s. Although I hate the edited episodes the show is still funny. I wonder if we could get them for false advertising on the inflated running time.

6. DavidofLondon

DavidofLondon Stunt Coordinator

In principle I agree with you but we need to remember that this is a hobby. Difficult though it is for me to remember sometimes (particularly when waiting for that oh so important release delayed at the post office) this isn't life and death.

There's also no hard and fast rules on definitions. I know people who object to early TV shows being amended to 2.0 or 5.1 sound because they were originally mono. Personally I prefer the enhanced sound. But then I hate colourisation and would always have the B&W version or none at all for early B&W stuff.

Complete means what? Network DVD when they've done certain shows recently actually included the Advert breaks (sans the adverts). I could live without that. But would it be complete?

Complete as originally broadcast should presumably include that annoying voice over during the credits telling you about the sports event that was to follow the screening.

If Chris is happy that he's not bothered by original music then that's his choice. I don't think this hobby would be improved if anyone legislated what had to be done. Particularly as that could prohibit certain "music heavy" shows like Quantum Leap, Happy Days, WKRP in Cincinnati and others ever being released. I'd rather have them with original music, but I'd rather have them without it than not all.

Personal preference, others are free to make their own choices. That's the nature of a free market.

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Our key disagreement. I love WKRP, but I am much happier with it not being released at all, than if were to get released with music replacement. I certainly wouldn't buy it with music replacement, but if it were released that way, it would essentially mean that the probability of ever getting it correct would be zero. The fact that it hasn't come out edited, means that at least there's some nonzero chance that it might actually someday get released correctly. So, for it not to be released at all at least gives me hope. Shows that are out incorrectly, I have no hope to ever see done right. Hence, I'll never get to see Wiseguy for instance. [​IMG]

8. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Music licensing is such an unbelievable nightmare. I think that some of these music rights holders really need to wake up and smell the coffee.

For shows like Happy Days and WKRP, most of the time the music is nothing more than in the background. Yes, there is the occasional time that the music is actually used to set the mood or a key element of the story. In instances like that, every effort should be made to obtain the original music. However, if the song is only heard in the background (like when Johnny Fever puts on a record and we hear maybe the first two lines of the song or just the opening notes) then these music rights holders really need to get a clue and not be aksing for an exorbant amount of money for a song that you only hear one-tenth of.

As for edited shows in general. Well, I've made a few consessions in certain cases. That's My Mama for example. I knew going into the sets that they contained mostly the syndicated versions but for me it was a choice between never having the show or getting what was released. Mainly because the show has rarely been seen in syndication and I really wanted to have it. I, however, did not make the same choice with Roseanne and ALF. To me there was no excuse for syndicated versions of these shows to be released. Roseanne, I have reconsired since the remaing seasons will be full uncut episodes. ALF is still on my don't buy list.

It just boils down to a matter of personal choice. I don't agree with releasing syndicated versions on DVD and I try not to support such practices. However, sometimes like That's My Mama, having the shows on DVD, even though they are edited, is better than not having them at all.