Thoughts on Earth: Final Conflict Re-airing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Gilbert, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Ron Gilbert

Ron Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

There was a thread on this show a while back, and I asked the question "What was it about the early episodes that made the show so much better than the current eps?" Of course, I felt that the current eps that I started watching - from the fourth season I believe - were still better than most of the syndicated fare from last season (if anyone wants to sell me on the merits of Beastmaster and Sheena, now's your chance [​IMG]). Anyway, the Sci-Fi channel began re-airing the series from the beginning two weeks ago, and watching these early shows, I do feel that in some ways there is a quality in the first season that the newer shows lack. A greater air of mystery, to be sure. And the actors who play Jonathan Doors and William Boone are terrific.
    However, I'm not convinced, given the show's premise, that a sense of mystery could have been maintained throughout the show's entire run, and at some point, events would have evolved to their current state of affairs. Aside from the typical holes that happen in Sci-Fi shows, I still find it quite enjoyable. I suppose the changes that were made could have been done better, and with less sacrificing of characters fans love, but until I see the entire run, I'll hold off on despising the current show as is [​IMG].
    Finally, I've been to the E:FC web site, and I'm pretty shocked by the changes they have announced for next season. I've tried searching the web for info on the show outside the official site, but every web page I've been to is either outdated or closed down in protest. Does anyone know of a site that still follows the show?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Sure they would have to reveal things, but it would have gone at a much slower pace. Liam sucks, Boone, while not a great actor, was a much better character. Liam doesn't learn and grow, he's just there. Boone was always exploring the Taelon culture. Oh the first season was soooooo much better than the abortion of a second season. The end of the fourth season was cool, but I'm really glad it's ending