Thoughts on budget PSB 5.1 setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vasanth B, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

Already settled on a Denon AVR-1802.
    I'm looking to put together a budget HT setup that will maximize "bang-for-buck"
    I auditioned some PSB Image series speakers and I think these impress me the most in their price range. I prefer a smooth sound but the Alpha A/V (discontinued) series seemed a bit lacking in detail so I think the Image with the aluminum tweeter will better suit my preferences.
    Anyhow, Yawa Audio has good deals on B-stocks. I'm thinking Image 1Bs for rears, 2Bs for the mains and the 9C center. The sub will be a Sony WM-40. I realize the sub will now be the weakest link in the setup, but I can't really afford an SVS now, plus I live in an apartment anyway so stressing the sub will be a neighbor annoyance issue. To that end I think the Sony with some of the upgrade tricks (like poly-fill) will suit me for now. My living room is about 10' x 15'
    Any thoughts on my speaker selections? The total setup for above will come in around $1200-$1300 including the receiver.

2. Ben_L

Ben_L Agent

Sounds like an awesome budget system to me. I auditioned the PSB 2B's in a larger room than yours and i was very impressed by the sound and how well it filled up the room. Be sure to include speaker stands in your budget too. You might want to audition Monitor Audio Bronze series speakers too; they use the same drivers as the PSB Image series and cost about the same. You might find the crossover setting and bass more satasfying on them. I wanted to audition these myself, but the dealer hadnt got them hooked up when i was there.
    I think youre right on about the sub; the Sony will be a great budget solution until youre able to move out and get an SVS.

3. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Auditioning

I have a complete PSB Image system including four 1Bs, an 8C, and the Subsonic 6. I'm very happy with the setup. I plan to replace the front 1Bs with 4Ts or 3LRs and use the 1Bs for the back surround channels eventually.
    I actually liked the 1Bs and the 4Ts better than the 2Bs when I A-B'd them. I also liked the 3LRs when I heard them at another store. It just seemed like the 5.25" based speakers were easier to drive and the 6.5" versions. The guy who sold them to me liked the 5.25" versions better as well and he has a more trained ear than me. I had to order either one and the 5.25" based system was less expensive so there was no reason for him to lie. At these sizes you need a sub anyway and the wife likes smaller speakers. The 8C sits on top of my 50" Tosh and it's plenty big, I don't think I'd want or need the 9C up there.
    Bang for your buck it's hard to beat these little gems.
    My setup: http://users.erols.com/jimclark/jimht.html

4. Vasanth B

That's a very intriguing response about you and the dealer preferring the 1Bs! I myself noticed that some of the Alpha PSBs seemed to image better than the Image series. (ironic)
    When I get a chance and my local PSB dealer gets some in, I'm going to try to A/B the 1Bs to the 2Bs. After that I think I will go ahead and get these speakers!

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Well, I didn't listen much to the 1B, 3LR or 4T's, or the 8C. I am used to an 8inch woofer as a midrange/woofer, so the 2B's sounded great to me. I eventually listened to the 5T's and 6T's and settled on the 6T's. I like the sound. 9C center and 2B's for surrounds.
    I think whichever PSB image series speaker you get, you will like the sound. I love the sound of voices and bass from my speakers. I also have a Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer for ultra-low end and movies.

6. Lance Haile

Lance Haile Extra

see my post... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/044793.html
    I have auditioned a lot of different speakers (mirage, B&K, paradigm, mission, etc..) and I think the PSB speakers are definitley underrated. I am running the Sony sub by the way and think it works very well, especially for the price. I was considering 2B's for the mains, but I may get another pair of 1B's. I'll have to A/B them.

7. David Head

David Head Second Unit

The 1B, 3LR, 4T and 8C all have 5 1/4" woofers, while the 2B, 5T, 6T, 7T and 9C all have 6 1/2" woofers. I think you'd be better off if you could keep all 5 speakers within the same group. You could get 3LRs or 4Ts with an 8C (which would blend better with the 1B) for the same price as the 2B/9C combo. If you want to stick with the 2B/9C choice up front, you should consider 2Bs for the rear.
    I have the 3LR/8C/1B combo and love the speakers. I also listened to B&W, Paradigm and JBL when I was shopping for speakers. I felt that the PSBs had great clarity and imaging and were an amazing value for the price.
    David

8. Vasanth B

David, you make some good points. I hadn't even thought about a 1B/3LR/8C combo--it comes in just slightly higher than the 1B/2B/9C combo. I think I will then compare the 3LR to the 1B at my dealer since they use the same woofers. I'm sure the 3LR extends down farther which may allow me to cross the Sony over lower. Then again, the 1B may be just fine for all 4 speakers. Looks like I have some listening to do tommorrow.

9. Lance Haile

Lance Haile Extra

Let us (me) know how it goes!
    I'm glad to see some PSB action on this forum. I have been shopping speakers for about a year and always end up going back to the PSB's. Paradigms and Mirage get a lot of kudos around here (especially the former) and I think PSB is a true contender among speaker (Candadian or otherwise) manufacturers.
    I'm not sure about the dealers in Austin, but I couldn't get much of a price break here in Dallas, so I went online. If you're comfortable with that, I can refer you. The price was right and the customer service excellent. I ordered at 5pm CST on Thursday and they shipped that day! Incredible.
    Now I need to do a little more research and see what path to take....4 1B's/8C or 3LR/1B/8C. The fun continues.

10. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Here is a Sound & Vision article from July 2000 which contained a review of the 3LRs. In the article, they said "And given their overall size, the Image 3LRs also delivered an unexpectedly extended and powerful bottom end."
    There was also a good review of the 3LR is the September 2001 issue of Guide To Home Theater. The reviewer's original plan was to use a pair of 5Ts up front, but he experimented with the 3LRs up front instead (he was orignally planning to use the 3LRs for surrounds and got a pair of 10s surrounds at the last moment). He said that "it's no reflection on the quality of the 5Ts to state that the 3LRs worked so well that I never looked back".
    I'm sure that "bass-heads" would not think they produce enough low end, but I prefer listening to music without the emphasis on bass. It isn't an issue for home theater because I have all the speakers set to small and let the subwoofer handle the rest. I found that placing the 3LRs on 20" stands put the tweeters at ear level in my listening position. Here are my thoughts on the PSBs when I was looking at speakers.
    David

11. Vasanth B

Well I ordered a two pairs of the 1Bs ("b" stock) and one "A" stock 8-C center. It was only $10 more for the A stock center so I thought that was a no-brainer since it is very visible right on top of the T.V.
    I also ordered a Denon AVR-1802 from Ecost.com for $400 shipped. It's not as cheap as the dirt-cheap guys out there but I've dealt with Ecost.com before and they are a reputable vendor. I probably will not get a Denon warranty, but Denon has stated that Ecost will provide warranty service. My order drop-shipped from Tennessee so it should hopefully be at my house tommorrow!
    Now the big question comes to the sub. I'm still struggling over the idea of buying the Sony SA-WM40 and tweaking it for better performance at around $150 + tax or should I bite-the-bullet and get the SVS 25-31CS which is a very reasonable $369 shipped without the amp. I can get a 150W plate sub amp for $85 from PartsExpress or even go with a cheapie KLH stereo receiver from Best Buy. That would get me an SVS for around $475-$500! Last option is an Adire RAVA for $429 shipped to my address. I'm inclined to think the Sony is the dirt-cheap option, but SVS will sound better than the Adire if I want to spend those bucks on a sub. As for interconnects, I'm going with the 12 GA Home Depot cable since it's supposed to be great bang-for-buck. Any thoughts?